evening out ply splices

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by 300wm, May 30, 2016.

1. 300wm

300wm Junior Member

I've spliced the tub of a kayak I built a couple years ago to a new front and rear, but the 1/4" ply I used for the original build (and the tub) is actually about one millimeter thicker than the new 1/4" ply I'm splicing on to it. I really do not want to just 'feather' sand this to match. Is there a tool or machine I can rent from Home Depot/Lowes that will shave the one millimeter from the whole tub?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A hand or power plane will do this, though by the time you set it up and nail it perfectly, you could have used a belt sander with similar accuracy. A big disk grinder will do the same, though both will require some deft tool work (experience) to get it good and flat. The belt sander is the tool I turn to first for this sort of thing, as it's fast and in skilled hands, accurate and precise. In a novice's hands, you can easily remove way more material than you want.

Personally, I wouldn't be sweating a 1 mm difference. This is an easy fairing compound job.

3. 300wm

300wm Junior Member

Thank you for the reply.

I could use the grinder as I have two of those (variable speed Makita car polishers). As far as getting it evenly planed with that, could I just drive some very small finish nails in 1mm too deep, maybe every 6", and touch the heads with black paint? Once the head is shiny, I know I've removed enough? Once that's complete, I could just block sand with 80 grit?

That layer has to come off...I'm too OCD to leave it and feather the joints.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

you can do this in minutes without the complication of nail heads. Use a simple straight edge to gauge the transition bevel angle. Sand a little and use the gauge, sand some more, use the gage.......until you get it to a degree of perfection to satisfy the OCD thing.

If the difference is only one millimeter I agree with PAR that fairing compound will fix the problem. One millimeter is less than 40 thousandths of an inch so it is not something to threaten a good craftsman's skill or integrity

5. 300wm

300wm Junior Member

I understand, but it could offset some of the weight. It's about 12 sq. ft. that needs to be planed, plus it has the old paint and primer. It could save me a few lbs. I'm amongst the elite with a car polisher in my hands, so I don't think it will take very long.

6. PAR

12 sq. ft. of fairing compound will be measured in ounces, not pounds saved.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The main problem I see, is that taking off that much will probably get rid of a whole veneer. That could make it not be stiff enough.

8. 300wm

300wm Junior Member

It's not going to take a whole veneer ( had to look that up). It will cut into the first one, some, but not all the way. The stiffness I get is from the stringers.

9. 300wm

300wm Junior Member

I was thinking shaving off that millimeter of wood plus the paint would save me some weight verses just sanding and painting over.

10. PAR

Well, the math is simple enough. Let's assume the wood is 32 pounds a cubic foot, so 12 square feet, .04" thick (1 mm) is about 20 ounces of plywood veneer removed.