Eider Duck build

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Well, here are some pics of the daggerboard going in, but first... the sail that the mods are for:

[​IMG]

This is the case after trimming the bottom to fit the hull, sanding the runs out of the inside and notching out the inwale trim to fit. It is a little below the top but that is intentional, leaving a bit of a gap to get a better grip on the top handle.

[​IMG]

Another showing the notch and fit better.
    [​IMG]

This one shows the relative placement of the two cases... I moved it a bit further forward as I would rather have a bit too much weather helm that the awful lee helm it did have with the new sail and the old DB case position.

[​IMG]

Marked position and pilot holes drilled for the slot.

[​IMG]

3. lewisboats

Continued from above:

Pilot holes from the outside:

[​IMG]

Slot cut and sanded to shape:

[​IMG]

A coat of epoxy to seal:

[​IMG]

And on the inside... a small fillet to fill any tiny gaps and keep out any water from getting between the sidewall and the case. The case is screwed to the framework on the inside of the side tanks, through the walls.

[​IMG]

...and finally the two case slots from the outside. If there is some splash up through the unused one, I'll just have to make a plug. Temp fix will be Duct tape over the slot. We even have purple to match the hull ;)

[​IMG]

4. lewisboats

The mast I made for the sail above is hollow cedar and it is plenty strong enough for the sail... except where the boom crosses it. When I had it out last October I kind of chewed it up a bit in some stronger winds so I'm going to put a band of glass around it (after filling and smoothing the crunched areas) to toughen up that area a bit.

[​IMG]

This is with the mast turned 90 deg to the left showing the most damage. In the picture above it is the ding on the right side.

[​IMG]

edited to add... as I look at the pictures I just posted... I may just glue a half round of harder material on that face too...to act as a bushing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.