Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding > Wooden Boat Building and Restoration
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 06-05-2005, 06:55 PM

Rep: 24 Posts: 163
Does I need to plane wood?

I'm building a 6,80m (22.3 feet) sportboat with cedar, epoxy and fiberglass.

I use cedar plank cut with a portable band saw mills. The cut is not so rough.

Can I use thoses planks without planing and add fiberglass with epoxy on that? Does I need to plane this wood?

Old 06-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Yacht Designer

Rep: 16 Posts: 39
Contact Tom MacNaughton at Macnaughton Yacht Designs and order the booklet on Sheathed Strip Construction. Here is the web site:

www.macnaughtongroup.com

You do not want to plane the wood. Also, you want to use all square strips so you can lay them with the end grain showing.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:24 PM

Rep: 112 Posts: 624
You can plane the wood. You will need to form it with a sander with 60 grit afterwards. Bandsawn lumber is great. but it will take a lot more epoxy to wet out. Sometimes there is paste wax rubbed on the planer tables. Get rid of it!

Make a test pannel. beat on it, break it.

The end grain will not show. The quarter grain will.

Tom MacNaughton is a honest sincere man give him a call or email him after you surf his site.

have fun