Daggerboard/case clearance

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Jun 30, 2008.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

What are we looking at for clearance min/max between daggerboard and case sides? I laminated up 4 layers of 6mm plus I am going to coat it a couple of times plus paint...so say 25.4 mm or 1 in total. What kind of clearance should I use between the DB and the case walls...1/16"...1/8"...friction fit?

Steve

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

As close as you dare, considering it's wood. a 1/16" all around is a good tight fit, but if you have any swelling (not as much a problem with plywood) it'll jam.

Plywood isn't the best material to make blades from. Since half the grain is running in the wrong direction, it's not as strong as solid lumber, but is substantially heavier. If I had to use wood, I'd strip plank the blade, with (opposing annual rings) then a moderately heavy sheathing and a heavily reinforced leading edge.

Centerboards, rudders, daggerboards, etc. are best if made entirely from inert materials, which aren't subject to the ravages of the marine environment, don't change dimension with moisture content, etc.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.