Confusion Below the Waterline

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Texas Boater, May 15, 2006.

1. Texas Boater

Texas Boater Member

I am in the process of turning my ’58 CC Sportsman to fully inspect the bottom and most probably rework what needs to be restored. (Not sure what that might be, if anything, since I am picking up someone else’s dropped restoration!):confused:

I have had several restoration experts and boatwrights, tell me to remove the bottom planks, probably replace the inner plywood bottom, dowse it with thinned epoxy and then coat with 3M 5200, as a bedding material for all new planks. :eek:

I have also been told “do not” use a WEST system on the bottom or even fiberglass over the inner plywood bottom.:(

The previous owner said the restoration was initially started to re-varnish, recover the floor and upholstery and it just got away from him – BUT the boat did not leak (I understand I should take that with a grain of salt or two) So I am hesitant to replace everything blindly.:eek:

Not 100% satisfied with those answers, I have done more research and it seems a polyurethane (like 5200) should not be used below the water line, but instead some type of polysulfide is the best. It also seems that if my boat will be tailored and not left in the water for weeks at a time, I could probably even fiberglass below the waterline, paint it and forget it, for at least many years. So now I am confused as to how so may experts can disagree on the most basic of restoration methods!:confused:

I plan on inspecting the bottom and I understand that means removing the outer planks to inspect the plywood. So I am willing to invest the time, sweat and money to restore this vessel correctly – BUT which method is correct? (If I were to blindly follow the first advice I had received – I would be smearing gallons of 5200 on the plywood bottom – only to have it wad up once it sat in the water over time!):(

I do not want to start a “fight” or step on toes but there must be “lessons learned” on failed restoration methods used on wooden boats that don’t contradict themselves. If so, where are they to be found?:D

2. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

Restoration means build it like it was when new. This also could mean to use some newer methods and materials, but still keeping it basically the same as the original. Repairs are a different story, which can be as good or better then the original construction or they could mean making matters worse and causing more problems then the solve.

A lot depends on what you want from the boat. A trophy winner will need to be restored, using very similar methods and materials. On the other hand a good old boat can be repaired using one of several different methods and materials available now that was not then and this is where you are finding the differences in repair options probably.

If you don't want more then ten years from the old gal, then fiberglass the thing and call it done. It will ruin the resale value and promote rot, but what do you care, after you get your ten years out of her. If you want a longer term repair, then you need to find a boat carpenter that is not to old to understand there are newer methods and techniques that work better. This same person should be doing insurance work and other repairs too. There are plenty of men too stuck in their ways, to admit they have gotten out of step with the trends in the industry and are still practicing bad habits, like 3M 5200 on underwater wood, instead of polysulfide. You need to find someone that has kept up and has good demand for their efforts.

Talk to other wooden boat owners. Try the Chris Craft clubs and on line organizations. There has to be a reasonably local person to give you a hand. It is just like finding a good car mechanic, you look and look, until you have one that does good work and can be trusted.

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.