Carolina style boat plans

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by woody, Jun 9, 2004.

1. woody

woody Junior Member

HI,
    I am looking for plans for a Carolina style center console boat around 18 -25 feet.Prefer Wood construction.Prefer professional blueprints,but could use amatuer plans.

2. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

carolina style wooden boat

The Museum of the Cape Fear in Wilmington houses the Simmons Sea Skiff plans, for 40 dollars you can request plans for the 16,18,or 20, high side or low side.Also,The original Carolina Boat Company is still in operation in Lumberton, they produce the Carolina Boat, a 14 foot plywood skiff that retails for around 900 dollars(I have their number somewhere,but they dont sell plans)This is the modern day equivalent of the 50's Lumberton River skiff(I have a 1957).
    If you can find a Barbour boat in your neck of the woods(they are around, I went down to Charleston recently and got a 17 foot Silver Clipper for free hurrricane damage)they are the real thing as far as Carolina boats and can be converted to any style configuration.
    Otherwise, any Harkers Island boat can be purchased or built, for info I recommend contacting Jamie Lewis at Harkers Island for lines and plans.The new Core Sound Museum on the Island is another source of info. Let me know if I can help further, I know N.C.wooden boats.Phil Rumley

3. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Junior Member

Are you looking for Simmons Sea Skiff style or the modern flair bow versions? You already have the old style version - here is the new style:
    [​IMG]

These are plans from Jacques Bateau at Boatplans-Online.com

Hope this helps

Dave

4. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

Carolina plans

That is one cool boat.I believe they have it all together on this one,how do you recon it would do with twin 1955 Johnson RD-!7's?

5. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

That is the CS23, it also comes in a 25' version with several deck layouts. It also has a closed transom option for an outboard bracket.

Full disclosure: I work for this company :)

Joel

6. woody

woody Junior Member

Hello J R Shine

Saw you work for company.I tried to join the forums.Got the automated reply,but site moderator never activated my account.Can`t find any way to send him an email because you have to log in first.Any ideas.
    I am Considering building the CS23,but wanted to join the forums first.
    thanks

7. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Hey Woody,

Send me an email (shine@e-boat.net) I will see that you get set up.

Joel

8. Kthomas4

Kthomas4 New Member

1958 Echo ? 16ft cabin cruiser

Hi
    I just bought an old wooden boat . The owners told me they thought it was built in Lumberton NC in 1958 and is called an echo. It is 16ft long and is a cabin cruiser style.
    Do you know anything about this company. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

9. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

Kthomas, I do not know the name they used but I know your boat(or I think I do). Is it a front cabin plywood outboard Cruiser? The Carolina Boat Company in Lumberton made several versions but the 17 was popular.The one I looked at had a 25 Johnson RD-17 on it with a slow torque prop,I know this because I bought the motor, not the boat, which was in poor shape.
    I lost the number but try 411-Lumberton and request the Carolina Boat Company,that is what I did but it has been 6 years ago.
    You have to realize in this neck of the woods there were 2 dozen small time Builders in the 50's/60's heyday of wooden boats,many of these small Cabin Cruisers were from Stock Plans modified to the Builders taste. Lumberton Carolina Boatbuilders favored Plywood and Ash, a recipe for a good ten year boat before decay set in. My Lumberton bit the dust 2 years ago, rot just appeared from nowhere it seemed.
    Still, Carolina would use what the Customer requested, and I have heard of quality mahogany ribbed plywood versions that lasted a bit longer.
    My original dream was to have Carolina Boat build me a new version from lines taken off mine, which was a rare variation from their stock skiff.

10. Kthomas4

Kthomas4 New Member

1958 Echo ? 16ft cabin cruiser

I'll send you some pics tomorrow. It is either 16 or 17 ft. It has a forward cabin. The deck at the front and around the edge is varnished and the steering wheel consol is varnished. It has a upper skirt along the top edge of the cockpit for heavy seas )I suppose. The cabin is glassed all around. It also has a windshield on top of the cabin. It came with a 1960 Merc 800 80HP I don't really see any rot other than one small place along the left rail a couple inches in diameter but I really haven't inspected it very well . It seems to be in pretty good shape other than the paint. I called Carolina Boats number but some girl was on the answering amchine and she didn't say anything about being a boat company
    Thanks
    Your boat that rotted. Did you use it much ? Did you keep it outside or what? Where did the rot start? If you send me your email I'll send a pic. I can't figure out how to post pics on this thread. thomaswulff5143@yahoo.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.