Can this boat be saved?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by RichardL, Aug 15, 2016.

1. RichardL

RichardL Junior Member

Victim of marital discord, this Marsh Cat, partially completed, was exposed to the elements for too long.

More info to come, but here is the link to the pictures.

https://noyfb.wordpress.com/

2. RichardL

RichardL Junior Member

My goal with this boat

I am probably not going to be able to finish this boat bright, but I'm hoping to save what I can of the work done already, and ideally be able to sail her next summer.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most of the veneers seems to have checked badly, so you'd have to remove them and re-edge them at the very least. The underlying layer looks in similar condition, meaning you'll have to pull all the planking off, clean it up, re-edge it and put it back on.

4. RichardL

RichardL Junior Member

Is it worth it?

Should I salvage what good wood there is and start from scratch? (I'm totally new at building, obviously) What type of wood is it?

5. PAR

I have no idea what species that is, though a few guesses might nail it, this is pretty irrelevant. The veneers are badly weather beaten and some could be saved, but the amount of work need to save them may outweigh their replacement cost.

If you're new to boat building, run as fast as you can, directly opposite of the project. This build method is one of the most demanding of a novice builder.

6. RichardL

RichardL Junior Member

Alternative?

What would you suggest? Small is beautiful, so is sailing. so is affordable.

7. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Richard, do what PAR says. Run don't walk.

It is true that this project could be salvaged and it is also true that it might be less work and more economical to start over. If you want to build a boat, the cold molded type is pretty close to the least favorable for a person who has never built a boat before. If you are fairly good with tools, then yes you can do it, but why would you, unless there is some over riding condition that demands your participation?

I like the looks of the derelict parts. I too would be tempted, or at least inclined to speculate on the possibility of making a boat of that pile of lumber.

8. PAR

Less than 5% of this project is completed, so consider what you want. Putting a lot of effort into saving what amounts to be less than 5% of a completed project seems untenable to me. An experienced builder, one familiar with the quirks of cold molding might be interested in this puppy, but any one else should just close their eyes, as they walk on by. For example, just a good, discount new sail for this gal will be an easy $1,000. Yeah, no kidding, just the sail, no rigging, no spars, no blocks, cleats, etc. This doesn't count the rest of the hull, framing, decking paint, etc.

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

[​IMG]

I have never built anything this way or know very much about it, but I can't understand why there would be those big gaps between the outer veneers.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The veneers were not glued to the ones under them. The structure under, if any may be OK, but it is doubtful. It may make good kindling. It would be faster and cheaper to build a new hull. The hull is at most 15% of the total cost, so there is no economy on trying to salvage it.

11. PAR

The gaps are intentional and makes molding go a bit faster.

[​IMG]

This image shows the spilled filler pieces, between the wider planks on the previous layer. The underlayer shows similar UV break down, so the planking needs to come off the jig, get re-thicknessed and it's edges spilled appropriately again.

I don't use this method, preferring to spile each edge as I go, but some do use this method. My the time that mahogany is cleaned up, redressed and rehung, you might as well just start over, possibly on the same jig, which would also be questionable, as far as trueness.

12. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

I'm with PAR and Gonzo, too much work to save and much easier to build new as well as cheaper in the long run.

13. PAR

Some, if not most of that mahogany can be salvaged, but don't use a sander, try oxalic acid first.

14. RichardL

RichardL Junior Member

Thanks for the tips, everyone!
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a first boat to build?
    Sailing is better than paddling.

15. RichardL

RichardL Junior Member

Will oxalic acid bleach it or leave it the color it is (not that it matters)?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.