cable steering

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by skip7083, Mar 18, 2008.

1. skip7083

skip7083 New Member

When older motors on a '59 vintage Thompson are replaced with a newer, more efficient motor, is it the general practice to also replace the cable/pulley steering with a newer, single cable design steering? I'd like to maintain the character of the boat but need to replace the outboard.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Just my two cents, but the old style cable steering never gummed up and everything was out in the open. Then again, these newer cables are probably a lot less to maintain, being sealed completely (so no maintainence is done ever, hence the gumming up).
    Being a maintainence freak, I would opt for the two cable system like the original. It worked for grandpa.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.