Building a 32meter Indonesian Pinisi schooner

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by SHoggard, Apr 27, 2016.

1. SHoggard

SHoggard Junior Member

Hi all,
    I'm building an ironwood, teak and mahogany Pinisi schooner in Indonesia & thought some members might like to see progress on Face Book: www.facebook.com/RajaNagaLaut.Cruises

I just posted a video of the 1st stage of the Launch Sequence - enjoy ;)

2. makobuilders

makobuilders Member

Hi shoggard, I used to craft residential doors out of pyinkado, which is what we called ironwood over in the Burma. Which wood are you referring to an where do you use each?

3. SHoggard

SHoggard Junior Member

A quickie:
    Here ironwood is called Bissi used almost exclusively for the hull planking & stringers and is as expensive as it is heavy, an almost black/dark red timber

- Bitti (takes a keen ear to differentiate it from Bissi - used for ribs - a whiteish yellow timber has good water resistance so is good for exterior rails steps etc

- Teak (Jati): 2 or 3 varieties:
    : Jati Tua: (literally old teak... but not really very old) contains more brown heart-wood than the others - interior decking for strength & colour
    : Jati Mudah (literally: young teak) whiter with heart wood strips - walls/bulkheads
    : Jati Puteh (literally: white teak) soft teak susceptable to termite... generally avoid it unless treated with antitermite solution - bulkheads where colour contrast is needed . It is light weight so quite good for furniture drawers etc

Mahogany: My absolute favourite because of consistent redish tone - used throughout public areas for walls front-facing furniture in preference to teak which I only use for contrast with mahogany.

Deck.... not laid yet, but I have mahogany drying & curing with a few test strips left in the sun to see how it weathers - we oil/varnish every couple of weeks to test.