Build of small mahogany sailboat with water jet propulsion

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by jobterrier, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jobterrier

jobterrier Junior Member

I began to build a mahogany boat with water jet drive and and own design wingsail. The most importantly - the boat will have to be small and beautiful, will have low weight that I can carry it on my car's roof. Second almost important thing - it must well float ;)
    The engine of the boat must be quickly and easily removed when it not needed. Sail mast - as well as easily removed or, where necessary, inserted.
    Using AutoCAD I tried to design a boat hull somewhat similar dinghy, yachts and powerboats hulls. Got that such a hybrid ...
    The hull almost I've built... . Now I'm doing bulkheads.
    My disposal I have a woodworking shop, CNC machining center, stainless steel welding equipment, AutoCAD using experience, joiners tools and experience. But I do not have a boat building experience for anything.
    Well, I still think I can build this boat and am looking forward to constructive criticism from you. I am going to post here some pictures of the boat building process.
    Now here is a dwg model of the boat hull:
    P.S. And I apologize for my imperfect and sometimes funny English.

Attached Files:

2. jobterrier

jobterrier Junior Member

Few pictures of boat building process

CNC machined and assembled form for machogany boat build. form for boat construction.jpg
    Acacia wood transom forming begin. transom forming.jpg
    Transom. Two diagonally oriented veneer layers in vacuum bag. two another diagonal layers of transom in vacuum bag.jpg
    Keelboard formed using 2.5 mm maple wood veneer layers. Keelboard forming.jpg
    Keelboard joined with boat transom Keelbord and transom.jpg
    First layer of 1.5 mm mahogany veneer layer is begin to apply First coat begined.jpg

3. michskip

michskip New Member

Man, it's already looking very good - specially when you say you have no experience with boat building.
    But do you plan to sail the boat with sails?
    Michel

4. jobterrier

jobterrier Junior Member

sails

Thank you. I've watched many boats images as shown on the internet and I have not bad joiner experience.
    Yes, I will try to sail on sail. Probably a very small sail ;) ... might need to install any serious leverage in my boat.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You don't really think that's anything close, to a reasonable set of sailing lines do you?

6. jobterrier

jobterrier Junior Member

Thanks, PAR.
    If honestly I think that for better sailing lines need more boat wide, smaller transom and may be deeper keel. This is only my visual flair. But I could not do so because I have for my boat design few practical not beautiful reasons...
    Can not to make bigger wider because need to put on car's roof for transporting. That smaller wide - bigger transom for boat stability. Too deep kell not usable for sail in river were much rocks. You see - I need almost pram. But I do not like prams. And now it's too late to correct boat hull problems because, sadly but the hull is finished. But this does not mean that I might not be interested in your advice.

7. jobterrier

jobterrier Junior Member

More of boat building process

Showed that the first layer will not be easy to put correctly on the curved boat hull form. Mahogany veneer strips on the boat hull.jpg
    After I removed the staples and the hull sanded, started second 2,5 mm mahogany layer. The first layer was not very correctly put on the boat form. In some places even had to rip the first layer. Then I realized that the hull will have a lot of internal repair. The second layer is started gluing.jpg
    Trying to resolve the situation with the springy rubber hose pieces pierced with wire hooks. This gave a relative, just a decent result. But inner layer of mahogany will be a little damaged with holes. mahogany bands disparity of the first layer.jpg
    The second layer of mahogany cross diagonal bands is finished and sanded for outer 2,5 mm layer gluing. This looks so much better then the first.
    I used the small nails for better fixing to keelboard and boat transom. May be it was not necessary I think...? second mahogany layer is sanded.jpg
    Is not easy to put the mahogany bands with no gaps between using only two hands. I applied for the necessary transportation rubbers. Some bands needed much to cut for better adaptation between. third mahogany layer.jpg mahogany strips fitting.jpg
    Patching cracks with mahogany dust and epoxy putty. Now I think the filler I prepared too much dark. Second time for boat inside will use not only mahogany dust. Will mix it with maple or fir dust for lighter color. patching cracks with mahogany dust putty.jpg
    I like anymore green color acacia transom for hull exterior. Decided to leave it only for interior. Transom too - will be stronger in case if will used outboard. acacia wood transom.jpg
    Fiberglass coated and epoxy dries. The seller of this products said that better used if will used "wet on wet". Yes I did as he said, but tired a lot of. This time, I realized that I hate fiberglass, epoxy and all of the job of it. I Rubbed the hull with epoxy resin, with six hand-help put fiberglass and dip the cloth by epoxy. Very nervous job.Will need to apply extra two layers of fiberglass without for preparing to warnish. fiberglass coated and epoxy dries.jpg
    I did it and now the mahogany hull is cut off from the form. Removal from the boat form.jpg boat hull inside view.jpg

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Svēkė atvīkė̄i foruma! Nerokounous žemaitėškā.

Interesting idea.

Beautiful woodwork.

9. jobterrier

jobterrier Junior Member

Nerokounous žemaitėškā

I think the challenge has been to find the right Samogitian phrase, hoytedow:). Thank you for your interest in my project.

10. jobterrier

jobterrier Junior Member

That is all what I have done for today

1.5 mm veneer layer appears too thin for right smoothing. Tried to repair does not give good results. I decided to put extra inner 1.5 mm mahogany veneer layer for my boat. Now it is sanded an I am making boat bulkhead from plywood and acacia. That is all what I have for today.
    too thin mahogany veneer.jpg boat's inner layer of mahogany veneer.jpg sanded boat's inside.jpg mahogany boat's bulkhead.jpg