bowsprit redesign

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by sw44, Jul 21, 2005.

1. sw44

sw44 Junior Member

I need to replace bowsprit on my seawolf 44 ketch , due to rot ...and so why not improve on the design a bit. What I want to do is be able to set anchors from front of sprit instead of 4' aft . Ive seen a gozzard 44 with this set up ..
    , my concern is how to build new sprit to allow for added stress . can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to find info or someone that can help with design ?
    thanks gus

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is the deck able to take the extra stress from the added leverage?

3. sw44

sw44 Junior Member

I dont think the load on the deck will change since most of load is transfered to keel/stem through oak samson posts.

4. ABoatGuy

ABoatGuy Member

Maybe it would be helpful to post a couple of photos or sketches of what you have and what you are proposing.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Any additional weight added to a cantilevered arm will place extra loading on it's attachments and the sprit body itself. Two small size anchors on the end of this thing, say 80 pounds (light for your boat) will directly increase the loading, force is inversely proportional to distance in this regard. Any competent engineer can come up with a solution for you. Drop me an email if you like or there are several others on this site that can do the work. Another option would be to contact a designer and have them run up the numbers you'll need for a reasonable safety margin, when those anchors meet a large wave as the bow is plunging deeply into the green stuff. This is not the best place to add additional weight to a sailing craft, but if you are bent on it, or purely a cruiser of moderate to heavy displacement, then go for it.

6. fredr

fredr New Member

Seawolf 44 Questions

I know this an old thread, however it's worth a shot....

Do you still have the Seawolf 44 ????
    We're looking at one.

I have some questions and it needs some work on the bowsprit.

Any one else have info on these boats???

Other than the "Leaky Teaky" issues.... it looks pretty nice.

Sorry about hijacking the thread..
    Googled the boat and this forum was listed.

fred

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.