BEWARE Neglect!

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by lewisboats, Aug 25, 2008.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Or this is the result:

From this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]

Don't let this be your boat on the way to the dump!

Steve

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Looks like a case of expired varnish over epoxy.

What fool varnishes exterior epoxy surfaces on a boat left out in the the weather anyway?

3. lewisboats

this one did...it wasn't the varnish it was the improper sealing of the edge grain of the plywood, plus not fixing a deep gouge that let water into the inner plies. The varnish worked like a champ actually...the hull was 6 years old with no chalking or other visible uv damage.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Could have fooled me - that 4th photo shows the topsides all discoloured and milky while the bottom is like new (except the big scratch).

5. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

So that's what happened to the misses!

6. lewisboats

Ohhh...THAT Chalking...acutally, to be honest... that came out of a can...we call it paint here :eek: ;) :D. There's a bit of dirt on it too.

Steve

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Was it because they left it out in the weather (Rain, Snow, Ice, thaw, Rain) that caused the wood to be violated by the water and freeze?
    If they had covered it when not in use, it would have survived wouldnt it?

In my youth, the only boats I could ever afford were those with all the Rot and damage you could imagine. Most of my boats were free to me because the owner would have had to pay somebody to haul it to the Dump.
    So I have a heckuva lot of experience with replacing rotted wood from Water damage. It's just parts n' pieces.

That boat is just about what I have had most of my life. The one I have now is Aluminum thought, but I use it a couple, maybe three times a week. But I keep it in the barn when not in use. I'd have one like your photos in a new york minute though. Light, quiet and easy to row and not so tippy so I can stand up and stretch from time to time.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.