Ashcroft method-Lord-Double diagonal

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by goodwilltoall, Jan 23, 2014.

1. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Having a problem understanding this type of construction and very little info available. Can someone describe or point where its being used or recently built?

Thanks.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm familiar with both Ashcroft and the Lord strip plank method. What do you want to know? The advantage of Ashcroft is you can apply both layers at the same time, speeding up hull shell production, though it's not quite as stiff as a true double diagonal, for the same material weight. The Lord strip plank method is wholly different.

4. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

As I researched on the web you were one of the few knowledgeable people commenting but still couldn't grasp it.

1. How big a wood stock can you use? Is 1"x OK?
    2. How big a boat can you build?
    3. Can it be frameless all the way upto the bigger boats?
    4. What prevents the wood from swelling and exploding being tight against each other?
    5. Does the outside have to be covered with fiberglass and watertight?

My idea of how it works is setting up temp frames with stringers set in, then attaching first 45 degree layer to stringers, with next layer 90 degree to first layer. I know this is different from Ashcroft since two layers cant be laid at the same time.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Question 1 through 3 are application dependent, as scantlings are scaled to the loads they receive, just as they are in any other build method.

Encapsulation prevents moisture from getting at wooden elements. The two methods (Ashcroft and Lord strip) are dramatically different and not directly comparable. Also there's no sense discussing Ashcroft, when in fact you are intending double or triple diagonal molding.

Lastly, in most cases with an Ashcroft of molded build there will be an exterior sheathing and with all Lord strip builds there will be a significant exterior laminate. The Lord method is really a cored composite.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.