8' El Toro Sailing Pram Renovation

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by orca bait, Feb 17, 2009.

1. orca bait

orca bait orca bait

Hello Out There: Orca Bait is an older pram in rough condition. I want to renovate/restore it to a reasonably attractive appearance/maintain its seaworthiness, all on a limited budget. There are 2 main issues:1) the exterior paint is peeling and flaking in places. The interior varnish is starting to wear away.2) there is a small area of dry rot where the bow plate meets the gunwale and extends down the side about 1". I'd like to discuss issue #1

*Best way to strip the paint and varnish~chemical or sanding? I have a dual action sander and hand sander. Belt sander??????
    *What prep work after removing paint is necessary before applying paint?
    -Surface preparation?
    -Sealer?
    -Primer?
    -Both?
    -In what order or sequence. How many coats of each including paint?
    -what about fiberglassing the exterior as well??????
    -Should I remove the old epoxy fillets and apply new epoxy to interior joints and seams?
    -what is the best process to treat the varnish issue/re-apply?

Thank you so much for your time and attention.

Steve

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Can you describe the construction type, Steve? Lapstrake, carvel, plywood, strip, etc..
    How you proceed is dependant on the building method. Pictures would help too.

3. orca bait

orca bait orca bait

Hi Alan: thank you for your speedy response. It's of plywood construction. Will have pictures in the next day or so.

Thanks, Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.