73' Paddle Wheel Boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by bswindell, Jun 15, 2011.

1. bswindell

bswindell New Member

Am restoring old paddle wheel double-deck boat. Basically it's a wooden structure on top of a solid piece of styrofoam with 17 wraps of fiberglass. There is 2' hangover of 2x4 crossbeams and treated 3/4" plywood. Any suggestions on the best way to fill gaps & waterproof the wooden underside? The lower deck will also need to be sealed somehow.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Without pictures and a much more intensive description of what you're trying to do, not much help can be offered. Sealing wood is a fairly straight forward process. Epoxy is the usual choice and the methods and products are well covered here and elsewhere in the net. Don't let anyone attempt to tell you that polyester will work, it doesn't and the debate is only left to those that can't believe, the long term testing results available.

A 73' vessel is substantial enough to warrant a full survey and inspection. It's also a project large enough to require a crew to repair. You can make a career hacking away at it a little at a time, or hire a crew that can bang it out in a few weeks. Considering the very generic nature of your questions, you'd be best advised to have the vessel surveyed right away, then you can begin the education process, about the materials and techniques necessary, to get this puppy back in service.

3. bswindell

bswindell New Member

73' Paddle Wheel

I will try to post a picture sometime tomorrow. This project has already been going on for a couple of months. Most of the wood replacement is complete & now it's time to get down to the sealing, painting, finish work. Besides the four of us that own the boat, there are 2 carpenters that have done most of the major work. Appreciate your input & I hope the pictures that I post later will help.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The wood should have been encapsulated before it went in the boat. What kind of carpenters have you working on the job?

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It's a strange form of construction if I recall correctly styrofoam is not a closed cell foam and will eventually become waterlogged if moisture enters the core.

I suppose if it's wrapped 17 times with fibreglass cloth and an appropriate epoxy resin it's likely to be ok certainly would not be my choice if I was building a boat of this scale though.

I assume this boat is for personal use? Sounds like it would be a nightmare to get through any form of survey for commercial usage.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Lots of floating docks are built over styrofoam blocks. The main problem is rats nesting in them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.