65 Owens, 26' Cabincruser

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by EuroTx, Dec 26, 2005.

1. EuroTx

EuroTx New Member

Hi, I'm Eric, from Germany & living now TX.
    I'm a "Newbie Boats owner" :cool:
    I have the boat now 3 years. I took it out the water last week.
    To give it a new paint job and do some work insite. & and to save some "slipfee." ;) The the boat never leak befor.
    I got the boat out with a wrong Trailer. I dont own a trailer. Anyway, now I have a Hole in the bottem. :mad: I'm also found some "weakspots". :eek:
    HELP. How can I Fix it, right?. Using Plywood for the hole & Fiberglass for the rest??? :confused: I know I can burnet, but I like the shipp, and want it back in the water sometimes. :D
    I have some photos in my Yahoo Album:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/txvideographer/album?.dir=/7e11
    Thanks & "Happy Holidays"

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That boat was dieing for you to have a look see and now will not let you off the hook, until you toss some new planks and likely some framing in her. Unfortunately lap strake planking is one of the most difficult planking types to repair and particularly true for the home builder. Considering the extent of the damage, plus what I expect will be found in the bilge (frames, floors, sole support structure, stringers, etc.) you'd be best advised to find a knowledgeable boat carpenter and have him go over her with a fine toothed comb. I work on these type of boats all the time, get some professional help locally. Quickly remove her from that poorly fitting trailer, get it blocked and shored properly so no more damage can occur, making it safe to by examined and carry out repairs. Those rollers probably popped the garboard seam wide open and may have broken many weakened frames. Never use rollers on wooden planking.

3. EuroTx

EuroTx New Member

Thanks, the first thing I will do, get the boat from the trailer and get it stabel. Then I will check the insite for more damage. Now I know "no rollers on wooden planking". Eric

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I have a similar sized and construction method hardtop in for repairs now. Blocking her up isn't a job for the weak of heart (or equipment) and can be quite dangerous. I don't recommend it for the average guy to try in his backyard, just to much to go wrong and cause the boat further damage or fall over (preferably not on someone) I have a rig I can use to lift boats clear of the trailer, where I can then roll out the trailer and lower it onto blocking. Your boat should have a dry weight of about 3,700 pounds, but likely has gained much moisture, pushing it well over 2 tons. A couple of come-a-longs rigged from the rafters of a car port will not cut the mustard with this kind of weight. Without the hoisting tackle necessary you will probably have to employ a front end loader, fork lift or other suitable lifting device to snatch her off the trailer with some level of confidence. I don't remember if the Owens of that era had "steamer eyes" or lifting rings, but this may be a saving grace. They look like rings, attached to the fore deck and aft deck. They will have a rod, passing through the boat, connecting them directly to the keel. You can lift from these points, if the structure can tolerate it and the eye fittings, rod and keel mounted sockets are in good shape.

Get a pro to look her over and skip the 'glass on the bottom. It'll just make her rot faster.

5. EuroTx

EuroTx New Member

Ok, thanks for the tips. I check it out, the boat is try everywere, inkl. the wood on the bottem. Also frames, floore & support structure looking good.
    I will post more pic soon. thanks Eric PS: good to know the weight off the boat, I just dont can't find it out befor. ty

6. EuroTx

EuroTx New Member

Hurra

:) HURRA !!!
    I finally got my Boat "stable & safe" :D
    No crane, no lift. Only 2 men & 2 car jacks.:D
    But I think we made it.
    The main weight is on the styrofoam blocks,
    I try to get the weight even on all 4 corners.
    The rest is for the stability.
    The Boat is not moving a bit anymore.
    It has a new Captain & is also inspected.
    See some of the now Photos:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/txvid...e=&prodid=&.done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/p h/txvideographer/my_photos%3furlhint=actn,del%253as,1%253af,0
    Thanks all, Eric

7. t14tedds

t14tedds New Member

Just buying 65 28' Owens

I'm just buying a 1965 28' Owens for restoration my self. I have not moved it yet but reading some of your thread has already helped before I made a mistake my self. I'm only 100 miles from you. I have a brother in Waco and a sister in Temple so I come through Waco often. I would like to stop by and see your Owens and chat about your experiances of your restoration. I Hope this gets to you, or anyone else that can help in my new venture.
    Thomas
    PTI Torque Converter
    (972) 412-1482
    t14tedds@msn.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.