5200 below waterline - bad idea?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by CaptScot, Mar 10, 2006.

1. CaptScot

CaptScot Junior Member

Will 5200 polyureathane release from soaked wood below the waterline? I recently replaced some old non-functioning thru-hull fitting through a cedar planked hull with a taped cedar plug and 5200 to hold it permanently in place. The boat's not yet back in the water. Do I have to worry that these plugs may come out? Perhaps 101 polysulfide sealant is a better choice?

Thanks Scott

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Scot
    Adhesive strength is dependant on many factors so the answer is not as absolute as you want.

You dont say what the vessel use is, but presuming a sea boat;

If it were my boat I would mechanically fasten those plugs inside if they are now a permanent feature, just a hole and a peg through the projecting part or perhaps a copper plate over the hole if it is flush.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

5200 will delaminate from wet wood. Lifecaulk is a better product for the application.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.