1960 Grady White Transom

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Ralphw, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Ralphw

Ralphw New Member

Long time reader/first time poster.

My question is....I am replacing the transom on my 18 foot grady white.

original transom is 2 layers of solid mohagony...outer layer is horizontal inside vertical, on the original they where not glued together and the inside vertical boards where just screwed in tight together not even edge glued.

Would it hurt anything to sandwich epoxy between these 2 layers of solid mohogany?

also should I edge glue the inside boards for more stiffness?

Thank you very much,
    Ralphw

BTW awesome site.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A rigid structure attached to a flexible one will most likely be a problem. The original design lasted for a long time.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Gonzo is correct, don't glue the planks. The outer planks will move and the inner planks will try to prevent this, something's going to give. Replace the fasteners to firm up the transom (cheapest), rebuild the transom (next to the cheapest) or re-engineer the transom (not so cheap) as a composite that looks like the original, but has a plywood core.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.