1959 Garvey

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Geckert, May 10, 2006.

1. Geckert

Geckert New Member

I am attempting to restore a 1959 garvey. She is all white cedar but was glassed over. The hull planks and side planking all seem sound but the 2x6 that attaches the bottom to the gunwales and to the sides is rotted bad. as are the 1x3 pieces that hold the side planking in place and join it to the bottom. I have been looking for a site that gives garvey building tips and or design tips if I was just to pull the motor and use the bottom and side planks and just start over. also she has an old ford 262 in her and I was looking all over for a place to find parts if I ever need them. Any help is appreciated. By the way if you havent noticed this is my first wood boat project. I am also looking for a place to purchase the new wood I need. I assume that white cedar would be the best for this application please all input is appreciated.

Thanks
    Gary

Attached Files:

• 4a_1.jpg
      4a_1.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5d_1.jpg
      5d_1.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

I would interested in knowing, if possible, who originally built your boat. I am an old timey garvey and spoon bow Chincoteague Scow enthusiast and builder, taking many of the older hulls offests and fancying the up.

Fell free to send me a private message, as I do not read the site often. I tired to send you one, but your settings are not so I can do so. Thanks.

3. 42Duffy

42Duffy New Member

59 Garvey

Hi, do you still have this Garvey?.
    How is the restoration coming?
    Does that boat have a full keel or just a skeg?
    What is the beam and over all length?
    I previously owned a 22' Garvey with a 350 Chevy and used it as a Commercial Clam boat. I wouldn't mind purchasing another, or building one from scratch. Any information would be much appreciated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.