1946 Elco

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by KBJ, Jan 21, 2007.

1. KBJ

KBJ New Member

I have a 1946 Elco 27' that I am re-framing. I was wondering if someone could tell me the purpose of the foward side, intermediate frames being layered in three seperate One inch thick pieces then screwed together. The planking is then attached thru all three pieces.
    Thanks,
    Kyle

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Not having a picture of what you're referring to, I'll jump to the assumption that this is a laminated frame, though it depends on which way the intermediate pieces are falling. Laminated frames permits you to have a pretty bulky frame from reasonably available stock supplies. a 1" x 3" frame, that is clear, straight grained and rift is much more difficult to find then 1" x 1" stock. It also simplifies pushing them into place. Can you imagine trying to edge set a 3" frame?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.