19' pacific albion dory ?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by timbecht, May 26, 2015.

1. timbecht

timbecht Junior Member

looking at spira 19' albion pacific dory but ? is can i reduce the top height of bow? reason for this is to mount trolling motor and not have get a super long shaft trolling motor.i have a call in to spira just not heard back yet. and in the pdf on the web sit it shows a hull weight of 980 pounds and max displacement of 4800 pounds so i am guessing it is without motor and other gear i am figuring motor and gear added would be bout 1000 more pounds and that would leave me with bout 2500 to 3000 pounds for people wich will only be like 4 adults and 2 kids. Am i figuring that right going to run about a 70 horse motor on it?

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The Albion appears to be as simple as it gets......a wide flat bottom, That makes it more properly a skiff, not a dory. The name is of no consequence.

What you have here is a hull that will plane easily and pound your dentures at speed in a chop. Seventy HP is probably more than you need for a boat of this type unless you anticipate severe loading.

The open boat as shown on the web site would not likely weigh 980 pounds. The cabin version just might weigh that much. The motor and its gear will not weigh 1000 ponds. four people are normally expected to average
    about 175 per person.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.