17ft Michalak Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by flyingvranch, Mar 19, 2017.

1. flyingvranch

flyingvranch Junior Member

Coming along nicely on my modified Michalak jon boat. I increased the depth from 16 to 24 inches and the width to 66 inches on the bottom of the boat. I used 1/2" ply throughout and glassed and epoxied inside and out. Much fairing and long-boarding later I am at the point of System Three epoxy primer and epoxy and graphite for the bottom and about ready for the flip. I have used Raka epoxy through the whole build and have had great and consistent results.

This boat will be specifically outfitted for trotlining on the Trinity River in Texas.

Attached Files:

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

It would seem that you have built a bulletproof boat worthy of serious battles. A bit heavy perhaps but hell for strong.

3. flyingvranch

The boat does look heavy because of it's size, but it's actually quite light. So far with no interior it sits at just over 490 lbs.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I respect your opinion but I do take issue that a 17 foot Jon at 490 pounds is a lightweight. Half that weight would be lightweight for a boat that size. I say again your boat is going to be plenty durable.

Keep going you are almost finished.

5. flyingvranch

Compared to a similar sized commercially made aluminum boat hull weighing in at around 700lbs, I think it's light. Thanks for the kind words though and I'm sure ready to get her flipped over and finished soon! (I have one shoulder left as the right one is exhausted from all the sanding.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.