shaft dia for surfacing prop

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by stupidbaker57, Oct 11, 2011.

1. stupidbaker57

stupidbaker57 Junior Member

I am building a surface drive for a small boat (9 foot runabout) that is powered with a 27hp motorcycle engine. The shaft needs to be 52 inches long. I would like to use a 3/4 stainless shaft. Would the length be too long for the dia., and would it have a tendency to "whip" in the center?
    The boat would weight in around 550 pounds with driver. and shaft speed would be around 7000 rpms.
    Any info will be welcomed.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Unless you are making your own propeller, 1" shafts and propellers are more readily available and usually cheaper.

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Bearing support for shaft should be no closer than 20 times shaft diameter.
    And no further apart than 40 times the shaft diameter. The twenty forty rule.
    A 3/4 " shaft should be good. You may have to compromise.

1 person likes this.
  4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The probs with a surface drive shaft is that it is always pushing from the bottom, shearing the shaft off just in front of the prop will occure if insufficient thickness is not used.

Surface props also have large blade roots and unfortunately hubs for the same reason.

However as the hub is not in the water it is not a prob. Surface drives are good if a few silly rules are adhered to that would not be normally be obvious on conventional drives.

5. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Thats rpm based isnt it Tom?

6. stupidbaker57

stupidbaker57 Junior Member

Thanks, Tom. I have a 1" shaft that can be used on the runabout (cracker box) I'll spline it for and outboard prop. (I have a couple of 8 inchers)
    As for the hydro with the rear mounted engine position, I will be able to use a 3/4 shaft and machine a taper for the 6 1/2" prop that came today from Hill Marine.
    With a site like this, you get to save a lot of time in guesstamations.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.