diy surface drive?

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by moTthediesel, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Grumpyrelick

Grumpyrelick Junior Member

You are, of course, correct. Since 2006, a dead battery replacement in a BMW required the services of a computer geek. In the late teens in the last century my neighbour who was convalescing from wounds suffered at Vimy Ridge was offered a ride in a launch with other patients on Lake Ontario. It was 90 F and no breezes. After 1/2 hour the engine died and no effort on the part of the operator would make it run. Finally he hit it a belt with a hammer and sat back, frustrated. A lad of about 12 who had come along for the ride asked to try it. One tug and put - put - put. The kid new that the hammer blow would free the carb and became an instant hero.
    Most people today can barely claim ownership to pliers, hammer and slot screw driver. These people have to buy bigger than the neighbour. They are also the people who facilitate our cheap purchases. When we purchased my wife's Hurricane, it was cheap but the performance was sluggish but we bought it anyways as it had very low hours. The car would not draw it up the ramp until we removed hundreds of pounds of water in the hull. It was full to the edge of the floor ski locker. When we got it home, I gave it the once over, according to the manufacturer's "opinion" and noted the warning sticker on the hood of the Suzuki four stroke saying "Fill with oil" They did - right to the top of the dip stick! I took out 3 litres and it was still full. Thankfully for us there are unintelligent consumers who do not know what they are buying and add another $5/month to their 28.5% credit card. :)

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What special tools does a Mazda need that others don't . As a professional mechanic I am, special tools for various jobs has been around since for ever.

A new battery geeez a Mercedes needs to be re valued on its headlamp circuit resistance if you change a head lamp bulb, approx 120 Euros.

This is the bad stuff Im on about, technology that just keeps you going to the dealers.

Now the dealers think this is a good thing as you get better service and the problem solved, not to mention keeping servicing within the manufacturers dealers.

No --agreed nothing to do with surface drives.

3. Grumpyrelick

I suppose we answered the "diy-surface-drive" a long time ago as I am the only one who responded as having designed, built and drove one so far - all low tech except for the hi-energy ignition.
    The other issues we have been discussing relate to the boating industry in general and serve to point out the difficulty and cost of putting together your own boat. Very few companies offer plans for U BUILD ITs and fewer offer surface drive suitable hulls. Perhaps a discussion thread on suitable hulls should be started.
    I am sure a simple surface drive could be adapted from a V-drive configuration. Glen-L has https://www.boatdesigns.com/16-Tunnel-King-tunnel-hull/products/368/
    A Subaru WRX donor would make it fly. Hey! I put a cast iron V6 in 13 Ft. Their boat is 16 Ft...

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Wrong again olde Grumpy. I designed and built 2 for my 44 foot power cat with 250HP Yanmars 9 years ago.

Some thread called shafts thru the transom, not my thread but im in it and still live on it,, sometimes.

10% and more higher speed than manufacturers engine installation and in line with the expected increase in surface drive efficiency.

Ive told you this before, Sigh!!!

5. Grumpyrelick

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but without pictures and details of the installation, you aren't passing on any ideas to the young 'uns. :)

6. Agrodyne labs

Agrodyne labs Junior Member

Here's mine...

Bathtub race boat for this years race....

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.