DIY Electric Surface Drive

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by Irie, Oct 17, 2016.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

That is very interesting, but I found that with using any sort of tunnel, the turbulence created when turning moving fast interfered with the propeller performance and the turning circle was restricted, It is still a good system, not way behind the boat. The mechanics are not obvious one can only guess.
    More proof that Surface/Subsurface in one is a feasible proposition.

2. OCB

OCB Senior Member

How's the project going? Have you done your mods to your drive?

OCB

3. Irie

Irie Junior Member

Hi OCB,

Currently my drive is disassembled due to moving 1300 miles to south Florida. I had started work on a revised version before the move but haven't had time to start working on it again. I've got all the components, just a matter of assembly now.

4. Timmcg

Timmcg Junior Member

Sorry for bumping old thread.
    What did you use as a shaft seal? Is it just the cutlass bearing an the end and the thrust bearing at the other? Is the prop tube always full of water?
    Whats the distance roughly from transom to prop?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.