DIY Electric Surface Drive

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by Irie, Oct 17, 2016.

1. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Yes, it is. I have to make a better diagram for myself. My boat is what is call semi-planning, it gets upto 14-18 knots, almost out of the water, but rather efficient there. The problem is docking, it turns into a nightmare there. Adding bow thruster and perhaps stern thruster too. If I can get the time and monies together.

2. Irie

Irie Junior Member

What materials are your tunnels made from? Will the extensions be made from the same material or something different?

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

So far havent made them, project for next month, my best guess is I am going to make them out of aluminum.

4. Irie

Irie Junior Member

I put the 9.25x10 prop back on so I could get some continuous run time data. I did 2.6 miles, average speed was 13 mph with a max or 21 mph. The biggest issue I have now is the size of the lake. They lower the water level for winter so now I can run full throttle for only about 1 minute to maybe a minute and a half before I have to turn. One of these days I plan to run circles to get a realistic idea of range.

https://youtu.be/Dz70rCmeT2w
    This video goes with the chart.

Batteries and motor with cooling fan
    IMG_20161115_093447.jpg

Attached Files:

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I love the work people do on electric boats, it is very interesting.

One thought from the picture, you have the rubber boot with shaft right there. I would create a second cover on inside even if it not 100% water tight to slow the water entry down in case of that boot failure. Perhaps even a just metal plate with a hole in the center. A 1/4 inch hole is alot better than a 4-inch hole.

Also, your circuitry is exposed. If your boat is like any of my boats, things will get majorly wet sooner or later for no apparent reason.

6. Irie

Irie Junior Member

It has definitely been interesting. I do have a second boot for the inside, I just haven't put it on. I'd like to have a smaller hole in the transom but then I would have to change a number of things. Its worked out very well so far. But yes, additional boots will be installed over the winter.

In the picture yes, Its the BMS which I only use for charging. It is covered when the boat is running and I always remove the batteries after use.

7. Irie

Irie Junior Member

Been a while since I've updated this thread. The lake has been frozen for sometime now but I did manage to pull the motor mount and change the swivel plate before it iced up. Boat handling has improved with the new swivel and the entire driveline now sits 3/4" lower.

I also reworked the 10.5 x 12 prop into a semi-cleaver. I lost a little top speed (.5 mph) but gained efficiency and the prop performs much better through the throttle range.

Below is the last run before the ice arrived.

Snapshot000002 (2).jpg

https://youtu.be/bnRqIf6_nxQ

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Thats all the proof anyone needs, that you can have a Surface drive and a Subsurface drive all in one.
    A prop close to the transom.
    No need for a long tail boat drive and all that inconvenience

9. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Tom depending on your boat, prop size and speed, the prop has to be a certain distance from hull to avoid all kindness of problems. With my props moving then back further allowed me to stay in the water at the speed I run. There is a big hole in the water right behind my boats transom that would be a horrible place to put props or rudders. But 6 feet back, there is a big bump. And I benefit from shallower draft than having my prop under stern. Of course, on a smaller boat the number are much less.

10. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I understand what you are saying but having the prop close to the transom was no problem for Hickman`s sea sled.
    It`s not at all convenient to have a prop with a rudder 6 feet behind your transom.
    When you can alter the running level of your prop at will close to the transom you can run it in clear water under some pressure starting to rise to form your big bump.

The difference of the running level of a prop in subsurface mode to surface mode is no more than less than half the diameter of your prop.

11. Irie

Irie Junior Member

Are your drives fixed? Would the props need to be so far from the transom if you could trim them?

12. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

The main reason long-tail-boats have such a long shaft is because the shaft is so high on the transom, a long shaft is needed to get a shallower shaft angle for the prop to work and also to achieve better steering.
    With Burmese long-tail shaft which are set low through the transom the shaft can only be turned 10 degrees from side to side so a longe shaft is needed to steer better.
    These boats can have a shorter shaft.

13. Irie

Irie Junior Member

That makes sense, does the Burmese variant use a single u joint? If they used a double cardan u joint would they be able to increase turning while also being able to shorten the shaft?

14. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

That is right Irie.
    The Burmese long tail from what I can find out is a single U/V joint only. Giving 10 degrees total movement

If they used a double cardan shaft with a sliding spline they could turn 10 degrees each way, and also 10 degrees up and down.
    20 degrees of movement must be better than just ten.
    If they used a wide angle double cardan shaft with a sliding spline they could, have a greater amount of movement 360 degrees. Depending on the amount of movement the U/V joints were built for.

15. Irie

Irie Junior Member

I ran across this video today of a surface / subsurface drive. I've emailed the builder for more information regarding its surface piercing performance.
    https://youtu.be/U60rx06Dmtk

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.