shift cable

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by shane blower, Apr 12, 2008.

1. shane blower

shane blower Junior Member

i was going to change my shift cable bellow on my 88 glasstron alpha 1 but everyone says its a real pain in the butt whats the key or should i pay someone to do it & whats the going rate.

2. redtech

redtech Senior Member

if this is the original cable there is an up-dated cable to install not to hard to do just takes a little time or a shop can do it in a couple hours
    just take your time and do it just follow directions and there is a tap you'll have to buy

3. shane blower

cool thanks for the info one shop was telling me $500 for cable bellow & labor he must be crazy thats $200 per hr.. will that new cable come with directions i have a mercruiser book but its useless when it comes to the cable. boat fix . com makes it sound real easy. im good at working on boats but dont have alot of time.whats the most i should pay?

4. redtech

redtech Senior Member

that $500 is what i would tell someone till i've seen the job the big unknown to me is corrosion?

5. shane blower

thanks for the info

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.