OMC outdrive plastic plug...

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by Bill55AZ, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Bill55AZ

Bill55AZ Junior Member

Halfway up on the forward edge, a red plastic plug, but has a hole in it, and is brittle. Water comes out when I hook up the hose. Does it need to be plugged?

2. Titanic

Titanic Junior Member

Thread

I see no one has answered you. I thought it was important to tell you that the red plug you are referring to is actually a dust cover. It should not have a hole in it. It originaly had a flat tip screwdriver slot, for removal, and a nut like appearance to be removed with a wrench. After removal you will find that there is a grease fitting behind it. This is used to lubricate the swivel bearing. Hope you got this before any damage to the bearing.

3. Bill55AZ

Bill55AZ Junior Member

I was told at a boat repair place that it isn't a big deal for that to be busted, but I am going to plug it anyway.

4. Titanic

Titanic Junior Member

As I was saying it is only an access hole to get to the grease fitting for the swivel bearing. It is not necessary to plug it, but why not, the manufactuer did, so I would also. The biggest thing I was concerned about was if you realized there was a grease fitting behind it.

5. Bill55AZ

Bill55AZ Junior Member

Plastic plugs are under $1 at Home Depot, as long as it is a standard size, so it will get plugged....
    thanks for the input.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.