noise in rear when i turn port and starboard

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by kenrahe, Jun 28, 2012.

1. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

Had new gimbal bering put in last year by a marina and this year i'm getting a noise when i turn port and starboard could this be the universal joint....or could it be the housing pins

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

sounds like the universal joint.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The bearing may have gone again, one of the thin O-rings may have pushed out or the U-joint has bearing damage. There probably still is some water intrusion through a bellows or the shift mechanism.

4. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

Are You Talking About The O Rings At The Front Of Driveshaft

5. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

Found no holes or tears in bellows

6. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

bearing is less than one year old

7. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

Hey cdk took off outdrive bellows gimbal and exhaust all in great shape but i found a melted flapper valve stuck up against the shifter shaft in front of the exhaust bellows would that have caused the tapping noise and bogging down....

8. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The drive shaft has two thin O-rings to take up the play between the shaft and the bearing inner diameter. When the shaft is pushed in after bearing replacement and no alignment tool was used, the rings can get damaged or pushed from their grooves.

As for the bellows, if you can see a hole or tear they are really old. More often there is some dirt or corrosion between the rubber and the alloy where water can seep in and ruin the gimbal bearing.

In the Alpha-1 2nd generation, Mercruiser changed the construction on the gimbal side. Bellows replacement is less easy than the old one because a special tool is required. The drive side still only has a clamp around the bellows, but Merc advises to use their special bellows glue to make sure it is water tight.

9. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

Hey cdk took off outdrive bellows gimbal and exhaust all in great shape but i found a melted flapper valve stuck up against the shifter shaft in front of the exhaust bellows would that have caused the tapping noise and bogging down....and the o-rings are fine of course i'm putting new ones in when i reassembal.......

10. CDK

CDK retired engineer

That doesn't ring any bell; I've never seen a flapper valve on a stern drive, melted or not.
    A picture might clear things up!

11. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

this has been mentioned on the forum before. people have thought it was the engine rattling and found it was the exhaust flap in mercruisers.

12. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

sorry i guess i called it wrong it's the water shutter in both sides of the y pipe

13. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

and is this really nessecery for normal operation

14. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

what would happen if i left them out

15. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

pretty sure they're there to prevent water back flow up the exhaust in the event of a panic (sudden) closing of the throttle. Similar to thru hull exhaust flappers. I'd assume that the likelihood of this happening an a typical stern drive set up is less likely than on a thru hull set up. However they are in there for a reason...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.