Loss of power

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by slow poke, Jun 14, 2007.

1. slow poke

slow poke Junior Member

The last time I took my Bayliner Capri out it had NO POWER max speed was 15 mph, I could not figure it out?? Retracing my steps I realized that the time before my father and I had been out I was pulling the boat out and my father had realized the motor had not been lifted, well we hit bottom. I looked at it very closely and it appeared to be fine. This is the only thing I can think that has created my loss of power. After checking with local shops they are unsure it would create an issue unless it was hit super hard and affected the prop, but I do not feel this is the case. The engine is running fine, anyone have this happen before??

2. Dan Currie

Dan Currie Junior Member

I have a Merc. outdrive that spun the hub. My motor is running fine but I'm experiencing over reving of the motor at around 15 mph. I'm pulling the prop tonight and having a new hub pressed in in the next week. I'm hoping this will cure my problem. Sounds similar to your situation.

1 person likes this.
  3. 87 Barretta

87 Barretta New Member

More Loss of power

I have a Volvo Penta AQ131D purchased used and first time out boat would not start. Pulled out of water to marina got a call said it started right up. Put in the water and ran great the next two days. Three weeks later decided to start in my driveway before we went out the next day. Same thing would not start until I primed the carb with gas and then started. Went out next day fired up and ran for about 3 hours and than loss of power. Would only go 15mph tops. Started crusing back and all of a sudduen full power again until I stopped after 10min or so. Power never returned. Is this fuel related or ?????????? Please help??

4. slow poke

slow poke Junior Member

I am going to pull my entire exhaust system apart tonight in hopes that I had a mouse or bird try and build a nest in it, sounds crazy but I have had several people tell to start thier. It can only be your fuel if you are not using a stabilizer during off use times, also ALWAYS fill your tank after each use it will prevent moisture from building up in the tank and thus water in your fuel and use the stabilizer during long periods like winter.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.