looking to repower

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by hammertime, Aug 29, 2007.

1. hammertime

hammertime New Member

I have a 1989 220 sportsman,with a 3.7 alpha one. Deffinetly under powered. I read a thread last week posted by a SHARKK 95 who repowerwd to a 4.3, same thing I want to do. Would like to know if it is a worth while move on an older boat. Only info he gave was that the boat was great in heavy seas, I agree mine also is a very sold boat, but what I;m trying to figure out is what the boat should weigh, hopeing she;s not water logged just heavy,can anyone help with this . G.

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Hammertime,

Any consideration of repowering has to start with identifying the boat and getting a thorough inspection of its present condition. You called the boat a 220; that's just the model number. Knowing the manufacturer might enable you to find out the boat's design weight and, for example, if a 4.3 was a factory option on that model, which should simplify the repowering process. If you don't know the mfr, copy the HIN and look it up on the USCG web site. You can get the mfr's name and last or present address.

The other half, of course, is a complete inspection and evaluation of the boat's present condition. There have been many threads here on subjects like replacing a transom, repowering, replacing stringers, rebuilding interiors, replacing rotted parts, etc, etc. Using the search function will uncover a wealth of helpful information and photos from the many knowledgable contributors here. If possible get someone with real experience to inspect the hull for you. Many boats use foam under the floorboards for floatation; over time the foam can absorb water, which could easily add 500-1000 lbs to the boat's weight. Removing the foam is the fix; but if there has been water sitting inside the hull for any length of time there may be other problems to fix. If the hull design is good, as you say, then repairs and repowering are worthwhile. As I said, there is a treasure trove of information and many good people willing to answer questions and help with nearly any repair.

By the way, I hear you've got something pretty high sticking up out of the woods over in the SW part of town, a world record (for now). I was one of your neighbors until about 12 years ago.

Major work on a boat is a source of frustration, aggravation, and great satisfaction. Good luck!

3. hammertime

hammertime New Member

Hey Charlie thanks for the info on the repower of my boat. It is a 22ft imp walkaround 3.7 165 hp alpha 1.I found the boat wt. is factory 3400lbs. I have a hard top on the boat about 250lbs fuel about 350lbs and misc. other wt 200lbs grand total the boat wt. is 3660lbs . I think shes ok. thanks again for the comeback any more info,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.