converting v-drive to stern drive?

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by tentantoes, Jun 12, 2008.

1. tentantoes

tentantoes New Member

Is this possible? I just posted a question about this boat in the inboard forum, but thought I should try here as well. My dad told me last week he would give me his ski boat if I wanted to rebuild it. It's an incredible boat, a 1970-something Mastercraft (I think). It is powered by a 455 Olds and started life as a jet drive when he first bought it brand new. Then as he was learning to barefoot he found that the jet chopped the water too badly, so he converted it to a v-drive. I've read that stern drives are more economical than v-drives and have wondered if it would be possible to turn the engine around and make it a stern drive. What would I be looking at to get this done? Being able to raise the lower unit of a stern drive does appeal to me. Thanks for your time.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Your dad installed a gearbox without a reverse, thus saving $500, maybe a bit less at the time. But you can replace it with one that does have a reverse or -depending on the make/model- add the reverse unit now.
    Converting to stern drive is a major operation involving turning the engine 180 degrees, adapting the flywheel and -housing and cutting a large hole in the transom and reinforcing it so it can take the weight and thrust of the drive.
    Plus of course the cost of a large drive that can handle the Old's torque.
    For an almost 40 years old boat?

3. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

CDK is absolutely correct. Your Boat would take extensive rework to handle an Outdrive. A Reversing V-drive is the way to go.

4. tentantoes

tentantoes New Member

Thanks, that's what I figured. What would I be looking to get then? Do you have any links for where I'd shop for a reversing v-drive transmission? Thanks for the help!

5. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Take a look at: http://www.glenl.com/. Go to Inboard hardware and than V-Drives. You also might find a good used/rebuilt one by Googling "Inboard V- Drives".

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.