1969 sea ray

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by niv5674, Feb 5, 2008.

1. niv5674

niv5674 Junior Member

Hello I have an old sea ray and dont realy know much about it. It runs ok but needs some work. I just need a few pointers on what oil to use and any other usefull info to get me out on the water(It wont stay running when i bring it in and out of gear seams like it is getting cut off from fuel)

2. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

What size and trype of engine do you have?

K9

3. niv5674

niv5674 Junior Member

well the motor is a 69 volvo penta 140 hrsp with matching drive i had replaced the cables and the bellows

4. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It sounds like you may have an ignition cutout switch issue, maybe a bad connection, sticking switch, etc., possably a controlhead adjustment.

Get your self a repair manual for the drive/engine combo and do a full tune up and run through all the adjustments and system checks. You'll likely find a number of issues and in the parts replacement/tune up process, solve many of them out right.

Or, take it to your local boat mechanic and have them do the once over, real good. It'll set you back a few hundred, but you'll have a more reliable package afterwards.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.