Rudder or motor steering in small cargo boat?

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Tijs Eysermans, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Tijs Eysermans

Tijs Eysermans Junior Member

Hello bloggers, I am a graduate student at KULeuven Belgium.

For my thesis I am looking at what is best to use when steering a 6meter long cargo boat.
    What I was wondering, do any of you have experience with both systems? (a steerable motor or a rudder steering system).

If you have, what are the difficulties with one in comparisson to the other? Which is better to use, or is easier to use when going forward or backwards?

I need this imformation to verify these answers with what I find from simulations. This would help me an awfull lot!

Thank you in advance! :)

Tijs Eysermans

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Thrust vectoring is by far the best method the steer a boat, particularly at low speed. A rudder, regardless of type, with the possible exception of the "kitchen" variety, requires the flow over and around it, to manipulate the direction of the stern quarters, which at low speeds can be cumbersome to say the least and down right imposable to back down, on some hull forms/rudder configurations. If you're running any kind of accurate "simulations", you should have pretty clear answers already, about the differences and effectiveness of the various types.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.