Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Stability
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 02-28-2007, 03:59 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 23
Righting arm curve

I have a problem, with the right arm curve. All we known that the GZ curve is plotted keeping the same immersed volume for all the transversal inclinations. My problem is: fixed the underwater volume, the transversal inclination, do I have to change the trim or the draft to achive the fixed volume.

Thanks.

BYE

Mirko

Last edited by Mirko : 02-28-2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Righting arm curve

Old 02-28-2007, 04:47 PM

Rep: 2841 Posts: 1,878
Mirko,

Yes you do. Many software programs for hydrostatics and stability have automatic draft, trim and heel functions based on a certain initial condition when calculating stabilit. For example, in the program I use, ProSurf, I input an initial condition, and this can be draft or displacement, and LCG or Trim. Draft determines displacement and vice versa, and LCG determines trim and vice versa. Then as the boat rolls over to check stability, the computer will automatically adjust the momentary draft and trim to achieve the correct displacement and LCB position to correspond with weight and LCG. This all happens very quickly, within 10-15 seconds, for a 180-deg roll. To do it by hand, however, is extremely laborious. Also, if your computer does not have automatic draft, trim and heel capability, then you have to iterate the calculations yourself, and that also gets very laborious.

Eric
St. Augustine, Florida
www.sponbergyachtdesign.com
Old 03-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Righting Arm Vs. Heel

Hi, and thanks for your reply. Obviously I don't want to carry out stability calculus by hand. What I have been doing is building an excel spreadsheet for the calculation of stability properties of a floating object shaped like a barge, for this reason the problem I posted occurred in my mind. Do you know any kind of algorithm for the increment of the trim and the draft which can help me? Due to the small movement of the center of buoyancy in the longitudinal direction I thought that I may neglect the trim changes and carry out the calculus of the rhighting curve at a fixed trim varying the draft.

Do you agree?

Bye

Mirko
Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 PM

Rep: 2841 Posts: 1,878
For a rectangular barge, there should be no changes in trim, so I guess you could ignore that. As for any other normal hull shape, computer typically will iterate draft and trim until a suitable solution is found. How you do that in a spreadsheet is probably best done by programmers such as yourself or others more talented in that area than I.

Eric
St. Augustine, Florida
www.sponbergyachtdesign.com
Old 08-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
Mirko,

I am trying to do the same thing as I want to validate a piece of stability software, if you post your sheet so far maybe we can work on it together?

cheers,

Old 08-07-2007, 05:46 AM

Righting Arm Curve

Hi Subman,

I don't have worked to my spreadsheet for months because I found several errors so I gave up.

If you don't have started yet I would be pleased to collaborate with you.

Let me know your intention.

Bye

Mirko