Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Stability
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 12-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Rep: 94 Posts: 244
While papers are a help. The truth is that a WARSHIP hull shape is at best, a lot of compromises by the time a boat design is finalized.

Even our BEST IBM submarines probably do not have the speed / duration efficiency of many large fish. The cure was simple. OVERPOWER the boat & waste the power to achieve the most important parameters.
SOR requirements are wants. Not end results.
The largest ships traveling the oceans are ALL obsolete when they meet a " Rogue Wave ".

Dumb luck and the German radar now scanning the seas, is more important than anything else for those ships right now.

Trying to climb OVER a 100' + wave is always dangerous. The massive weight & colliding speeds are going to strip parts of the ship that project above the main deck.
The USS Daly DD 519, my last destroyer, was making a maximum speed run 4 hours before being mothballed. Well, things went to hell.

Reservist was steering the ship. We are doing about 45 knots. The steam safety valves are tied down with rags to increase pressure & speed. The rudder ALWAYS would stick sometimes for a while. The reservist keeps adding more rudder to get back on course to Norfolk, Virginia. EEEEEEEE. The rudder swings to the port rudder stop instantly. The 300' destroyer leans so far over, that the engine room men know they must release the safety valves, to prevent cold seawater comming down the smoke stacks & blowing up the ship.
The ship is now traveling at maybe 4o knots ? Guess. ON our SIDE. Almost a constant angle of 90 degrees. The reason we did not all die was 2 things. The safties were ROARING & the speed of the ship kept it bouncing along on the side.

Damage report of the port side. EVERYTHING was either ripped off or ALMOST ripped off including the large dual 3" 50 caliber guns. They were ripped out of the locking pins & twisted about 30 degrees to the stern. That side looked like a giant had clawed it in 1 long sweep.

I am wandering again. People were lost & injured. That cured my reenlistment desires.

The USN tour, WAS ONE OF THE BEST TIMES OF MY LIFE.

How would you design any part of a ship for that condition ?

I notice all new USN ships are back to steel after the Yemin attack.

You picked a very changing field to make a living in. All the best to you & your efforts.

Rich

Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Rep: 31 Posts: 121
High Speed ​​is a good deadrise from 21-25 degrees. My opinion