Costa Concordia, 80 deg list, really scary !!

Discussion in 'Stability' started by smartbight, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartbight

smartbight Naval Architect

Thanks Peter. Good site

2. smartbight

smartbight Naval Architect

BPL "I would like to see the Costa Concordia's CG on a drawing."

Here is your answer and more from NA Professor Winkle :idea:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/simulating-costa-concordia-41365-2.html

"I am grateful that you have found a source for the Displacment of this vessel. However, I must correct the Freeboard quoted to 14.18m as given in the vessel's Wikipedia entry together with an Lpp of 247.4m. This allows an estimate of its Block Coefficient as 0.696 and approximation of its KB at 4.5m and BMt at 15.6m. With a KMt of around 20.1m it is fair to assume that the KG of the vessel lies between 18 and 19m."......

"At that time news photos clearly show the aft starboard corner of the bulkhead deck substantially under water which is likely to result in progressive flooding of the lower passenger deck which together with further breaches of the hull around the grounding point would result in the eventual total capsize."

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

It has been reported that the duty engineer has stated he knew almost immediately that 5 watertight compartments (including some or all of the engine room/rooms) were breached and flooded in the initial grounding. He has stated he knew the ship became unstable with 3 compartments flooded.

I don't think you can model much without knowing......
    1) the arrangement of watertight bulkheads and boundaries
    2) which compartments were flooded
    3) which WT doors/vents were open and which were closed
    4) and the load condition at the time of grounding

I'm not sure anyone knows 2,3, and 4 with any certainty at this time.

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Benford may have passed you if you put in wing tanks (I heard he was like that when he was teaching), but Yagle would have failed you for wing tanks on a passanger vessel. For passanger ships, wing tanks, and thier eccentric flooding, are more dangerous to the safety of the ship than complete compartment flooding due to thier required size. The onerous requirements levied on them by SOLAS underlines this fact. You really should become more familiar with SOLAS 74 as ammended by MSC Resolution 216.(82).

Yep, and as I try to keep pointing out, most cruise liners are registered with flag states that enforce SOLAS 74, and that document does not require survival with this extent of damage (generally 2-3 compartment is the norm given the required damage extent and derived subdivision length). All it requires is that the ship remain stable as it sinks which it appears that the Costa Concordia would have if it had not been grounded, and in grounding, she did not sink, so you are in one of those betwixt and between situations. The vast majority of the passangers made it off, which is what the rules are supposed enforce, so the ship and design were adaquate.

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

No idea, but the ship is probably not designed for excessive stability, it is more comfortable to keep it down and let the stabilizers keep her upright, and probably requires less power too. You'd want adequate secondary stability in case a freak wave laid her on her ear but all that stuff on top would help provided the windows held up . . . once the hull starts to fill with water all bets are off.

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I have no idea what "secondary stability" is, in my book you either got it or ya don't.......But this type of ship will run out of positive stability long before 90 degrees heel, at a guess somewhere around 60-70 degrees, perhaps less......I believe IMO Stability Standards only have requirements to 40-50 degrees....

7. Lister

Lister Previous Member

Cruise ship business is the closest business you can find after the mafia business.
    No one is responsible, cascade of corporation, millions of dollars spend on lobbying, Jone's act just put to the garbage for them.
    These overweight billionaires living in Florida, owner of these death trap should be criminally prosecuted for 16 count of shear murder.
    The pitiful chromosome, owner of Carnival and owner of the sunken ship didn't even went to the Island.
    Why we accept these coward and there "entourage" and floating death chambers in my country, is behind comprehension.
    Are we so greedy? 16 death is not enough?

The naval architect who pretend the evacuation of 4000 peoples is matter of minutes should be accountable for criminally negligence by design.

The Congress and Florida should get rid of these ********.

Oh yes, I forget, we can't, they are billionaires :p

A very emotionally disturbed Lister who do not like people dying for the bank account of some obese Floridian.

(Google his name to see his mension and private yacht were he is hidding while the Italian enquire on the accident)

8. BPL

BPL Senior Member

If the stability of this was a "death trap" as Lister says, why are the IMO Stability Standards not more demanding?

9. Lister

Lister Previous Member

It is a good question.
    The reason is the cruise ship are not designed for transatlantic winter passage, they are designed for week at a time and close to shore by good weather.
    They didn't realize that the ship went bigger in no time. They use old principle, and hope it works.

If the Agencies will effectively intervene, they will have to prohibit these kind of ship, since the evacuation in due time is impossible.
    They had several accident in the Golf of Mexico, all put under the carpet.
    The cruise ship business has a special logo:

DO NOT DISTURB

It will be time for the agencies to wake up and smell the coffee, inset of patronizing playing the important people, by annoying smaller vessel at heart content.

Come with small ship and a twenty people crew, and I tel you they don't let you pass anything.

But come with a ship, describe as "Balcony, with non watertight window, all glass, with inside courtyard )without any sane evacuation), and 4000 to 6000 passengers, and they applaud.

Did I mention the gigantic crew fired during the low period and re-hired when full season come back? It is a ninety century style of management.

What do you think of the quality of the crew after that?

The fired in the laundry room who incapacitate a cruise ship, the crew didn't know what to do beside a courageous guy?

The wastewater tank dumped in the ocean not long ago.

Convenience and bank notes in the pocket of the right people.
    As for the IMHO and other they are just laughable at that point.

I talk against the cruise ship business, from design to management, for more than 10 years, and this accident is not the first, and the next will be with far more damage if nobody do something.

I am always amaze how money can corrupt.

Do not ever think to take a cruise.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

you forgot to mention the crime on board that goes both unreported and un investigated
    Best place to murder someone is on a cruise ship

12. BPL

BPL Senior Member

13. masalai

masalai masalai

14. BPL

BPL Senior Member

What was the name of this last one to fall over?

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.