Building a pontoon houseboat out of a 44 foot monohull

Discussion in 'Stability' started by VavauAdventures, Nov 19, 2008.

1. VavauAdventures

VavauAdventures New Member

So I've found myself the beneficiary of a 44' double ender that's been rotting away with a termite problem for several unforgiving years. The only thing salvageable is a solid fiberglass hull. I'm thinking to make a 30 x 40 foot deck on top of the boat using a pontoon located 7' off each beam. On top of this deck will be living space and kitchen with two cabins and a head down in the hull of the original boat. We want to strengthen this thing as much as possible to handle any conditions it may face while on its mooring. Any suggestions on the following questions would be great:

1. how the boat with a 6 foot drafting keel will react to chop with a pontoon on each side and how stable the top floor will feel.

2. how to attach and reinforce the pontoons to the main hull so as to accommodate the weight of the top floor

3. unique ideas for roofing the thing taking into consideration high velocity wind.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

1 Depends a lot of the volume and shape of the pontoons. Reckon narrow and high profiled (with not too much volume) would be better considering the mainhull
    2 what you got or can get?
    3 Keep the heavy and expensive stuff etc inside the main hull and build a proper deck over it. On the deck continuing on the side pontoons more or less open living room with canvas sunroof. Safari style tent beds etc. no humidity problems like below.. stovable furniture..easy to put below incase of bad weather..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.