add jon boat pods (side and rear)

Discussion in 'Stability' started by pafree, Apr 29, 2009.

1. pafree

pafree pafree

i am new to the forum but have been searching for a while. i have a 14 foot Loweline jon boat that we use to check the saillines that we put out in the bay. we also use it in the saltwater cuts and flats fishing. we are using a 9.5 outboard and trolling motor to power it. being a big guy, i have decided to add rear pods to raise the rear of boat. first question about the rear pods. plywood covered with fiberglass with foam inside? straight foam block covered in fiberglass with a plywood or board backer where the bolt would bolt to the hull? second question? i couldnt find anything about this one. would adding side pods to the boat help with side to side stability when moving or standing in the boat. it is a crawler so planning is not a big deal to me. question about the side pods. when i put them on, should they go at the bottom line of the boat or just below water level? when mounting them to the boat, should i put in small spacer to allow for washing and dying between the pod and boat. i did find one picture ideal.

[​IMG]

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Yoy should calculate the volume of what you intend to fit as that will give you the up thrust it will produce 1 litre = 1 kg to see if its worthwhile ....personally I would use 22mm ply for the inner to take the bolts then foam and then an outer of ply say 5mm . Wrap the foam in cling film as the poly resin will attack it . You could skin the top and bottom in thin ply say 2mm for a nice smooth finish or make it in ply and then pour in expanding foam ...then glass it over 2 layers of 500g and then half sand and fill.. I would make it slope outwards and down 15 degrees on the underside with a sharp edge which will help lift ..no gap or you will get a sheet of water up the side of the hull ...you could make it in aluminium and get it TIG welded .....then get a bigger motor to get it on the plane !!! It will improve all the things you mention.

3. mudman

mudman Junior Member

I just built some pods out of aluminum and it does displace more water so that the boat does not sit so low. They also act as trim tabs and lengthen the boat to get on plane. You can buy them at Cabellas if you don't want to make them.

4. pafree

pafree pafree

i have looked at buying them, but i like to fabricate, my wife calls it piddling. long drives back and forth to work give me time to think and it also keeps me awake. i wont say i have never tried to recreate the wheel but somethings it just makes me wonder like "what if i bolted sealed five gallon buckets or squared greased containers to the back of the boat?" or "fill the pods with empty plastic bottles, thats about as closed celled as it gets and no saturated foam here." seriously now, i found a design and i am starting to crunch money numbers as far building materials vs. buying. one question, would adding rear pods affect the title stuff as far as boat length.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

5. mudman

mudman Junior Member

As far As I know, my boat is 16 feet. I built some 16" pods. My title still says 16 feet, and I have been stopped by wildlife and fisheries without a problem. The boat launch may give you a problem if you pay by the foot to launch, but normally, they take your word for it. I still pay for a 16 foot boat at the launch.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.