Structural Engineering??

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by Danger Mouse, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse Junior Member

I've graduated this year from Southampton Institute YPD (Yacht & Powercraft Design), and have luckily walked straight into a job.....but it's in a Structural & Civil Engineering Consultancy.

The company've been really good about it and said that they're more than happy to train me up for a couple of years and if I want to leave to pursue naval architecture then it's up to me - no hard feelings etc. I'm really enjoying the work, but still think I might like to get back to boats at some time.

I was wondering what your views are on someone in a position such as mine. In a couple of years I'll be pretty well experienced with steel & timber structures and detailing, but no experience in the marine side of things. What would be my job prospects? Would I effectively be starting from a new graduate level? Has anyone else done anything similar?

Any thoughts :)

2. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Structural engineering

Danger Mouse,

I was into Yachts and powerboat building when i took interest in composite design. As i became more interested, I reviewed my structural timber design and regularly read steel structure design.

I find that structural timber design gives me the solid good basics of composites engineering. I am now into pressure vessel and aerospace composite design interest.

Your employment as an structural engineer will help you very much when you decide to go back to Marine or Naval Architecture. Structural design is what makes the boat float safely. Aesthetics sells the boat. Be prepared for both.

Rx