Need linesplan made from general arrangement drawings

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by soffi, Feb 16, 2012.

1. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

some of the shipyards have an x-ray technology to plot the lines plan of the vessel. Lately, one of the shipyards in Abu Dhabi did the same for a conversion project, when the original lines plan was not available. This will be accurate and ready to use. Don't know much about the cost though.

2. Totholz

Totholz Junior Member

willing to help

Hi Soffi,

the excerpt from the GA plan as well as the photos from the hull that you posted would fully suffice to produce a set of hull lines in DS that at least should meet model boat requirements.

I have done this quite a few times, often from even less founded supporting documentation.

From the photos I can see that the hull by no means is an exceptionally tricky construction but rather one of the usual fishing boat shape.

But the images that you submitted have such a low resolution that I can't read her particulars from them.
    One would require the length (preferably Lpp), the beam, and a draught (preferably at DWL).
    Can you provide this information, and maybe the GA excerpt that gives the side elevation and the deck contour at a slightly higher resolution (best if you had it as JPG because DS can load this format as BG image,
    but not strictly necessary as ImageMagick's "convert" or Gimp can do the conversion)?

Unfortunately, as I have only registered a couple of minutes ago, I not yet allowed to send or receive any PMs, otherwise I would have contacted you.

Let's see, was 5 postings the threshold to get PMs activated?

3. Totholz

Totholz Junior Member

So, here comes posting No. 2 to increase my counter.

Someone suggested to get hold of the stability booklet.
    Another respondent mentioned that it might contain a body plan.

Well, though the stability booklet does indeed comprise information that is highly interesting to the naval architect (mind you, the hydrostatics can be seen as a kind of numerical representation of the hull lines),
    I am afraid it usually does not contain a body plan.
    However, its so called "curves of form", tabulated vs. immersion of draft, reveal hydrostatic particulars that can indeed be helpful in reconstructing the hull lines.
    One such property that comes to mind would for sure be the displacement and the centers of buoyancy.

Apart from that it mainly consists of tabulated tank and hold capacities with their centers of gravity.

Based on the curves of form (viz. metacentric height or radius as well as vertical center of buoyancy) and the centers of gravity for different loading conditions the cross stability for those cases can be calculated.
    Graphically the cross stability is depicted as lever arm curves for typical loading conditions of the vessel during the voyage as well as for the the docking case
    that show up to what angle of heel there will be a positive lever arm for the buoyancy force to upright the vessel again.

Additionally, the so called "cross curves of stability" are provided for master and ship mate to extend (semi-graphical) calculations for the not elaborated loading cases.

Of course, similar information is given for trim calculations and longitudinal stability, which however often is not as critical as traverse stability
    but whose forces could become critical for other types of vessels such as bulkers as far as bending stresses are concerned.

And often, especially on pax vessels, a whole chapter is devoted to damage stability.

I don't know if the stability booklet gives any advice to the master how to handle the vessel in following seas that travel from behind at a dispersion speed similar to that of the vessel and have a wavelength close to the vessel's length.
    Especially, fishing vessels have been prone to capsize in such conditions with many losses of lives.

4. chandru447

chandru447 Previous Member

hi,

I have converted 3 vessels from GA to lines plan. I am an individual freelance naval architect from germany.

If you are interested send me a mail to chandru447@gmail.com

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

All from a GA, well, that's scary as hell . . .

6. chandru447

chandru447 Previous Member

better can you tell send me a mail. chandru447@gmail.com

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Why? What possible reason would I want to inquire further, as to the possibilities of a lines plan from a GA, as shown previously in this thread. As mentioned, also previously in this thread, are several possible avenues of pursuit, in regard to developing a reasonably accurate set of lines for this vessel, of note, none of which will have anything to do with the GA plan.

8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Germany or India?

9. The Loftsman

The Loftsman The Loftsman

Hi Soffi,
    You just need an experienced Loftsman, that is all

Cheers