Naval architect position open at Coast Guard

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by CDBarry, Oct 24, 2013.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Someone apply and get the job, and prove it was not written to promote from within ....

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Almost all of them. Cutter are designed and built jointly by the government and private sectors.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

When I saw this my first thought was that Chris must have retired and his position has come open. But I don't know if he has or not. 14 positions are very hard to come by in the USCG. Frankly if I were still working for the USCG I'd apply for the position because as a GM 13 General Engineer I have the equivalency. In fact that is how I got the 13 job. My work in engineering as an officer and working for several years in a ship yard ( a civilian job) in an NA job got me the equivalency. OPM took a look at my experience and certified me as an engineer even though I do not have an engineering degree. I still have that letter certifying me as an engineer.

That is essentially what they are saying here in all that equivalency gobbledy gook. If you have the experience and education it doesn't matter what your degree is. I am living proof.

This is pretty much a typical job announcement, and contrary to what El Guero may think it is not someone writing themselves a promotion. First that is illegal (but I have seen it happen) and these are competitive positions. You may have been doing the work for years but you have to compete right along with everyone else. The process is lengthy and complex, and if the personnel office reviews your application and finds that anything is missing you are out of the running. Even though you may be the interviewed by the supervisor you will be working for, and may be currently working for, you may not get the job

Years ago I was hiring a a new shop foreman for the USCG facility I ran and we went through the entire process. When I finally got the names of the applicants to be interviewed some names I had expected to see were missing. When I queried the personnel officer about them I was simply told they didn't make the cut. And, out of the 6 people I interviewed, the one I selected did not get the job. The chief of personnel overrode my selection. This is rare but I have seen it happen a few times. So it is not a sure thing. I agree, occasionally a job gets "wired" for a certain person, but if anyone files a complaint (and all the applicants can do that if they have a valid complaint. They can not file a grievance for non selection but they sure can if there is the slightest suspicion that the process was not followed, or for discrimination.) It can go south fast and result in disciplinary action. I have seen this happen and seen selections overturned. I have also seen some huge monetary awards to people who filed a successful grievance. So the govt is adamant about dotting the I's and crossing the T's and following the process rigorously.

PS: I went back and looked at the announcement. This is a merit promotion position. That means if it not a regular GS position. These used to be called GM. I was a GM 13 but they did away with the designation when the merit promotion law expired and we all became GS again but the promotion within grade system stayed the same. A person with a grade such as GS 13 gets paid according to what step within the grade they are, step 1 though 10. If you are a regular GS you get a step promotion every few years according to a schedule. A merit promotion position can get moved up a step or even a lot of steps depending on merit. So this person could start as GS step 10 at the max pay for that position if they have the experience and education that merits that step. Of course they would then be maxed out at that step and not get a promotion again unless they apply for GS-15 and get it. I maxed out as a 13 and for 5 or 6 years only got annual cost of living raises (when we got them). But I am not complaining, just saying...

2 people like this.
  4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Ike, Thank you for sharing your experience.

5. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

One announcement is merit, the other "full and open". Apply to whichever one you are qualified for in terms of federal status.

There is no preference for one over the other, just two different processes.

6. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Very true. ;)