Looking for an entry level position with a wooden boat shop

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by meepslala, Nov 24, 2008.

1. meepslala

meepslala New Member

I am looking for an entry level position at a wooden boat shop, something along the lines of an apprenticeship. I grew up in the Hudson Valley with a father who wanted to 'retire' on a sail boat. Most of our summer weekends were spent on the river on our family sailboat. Father never really let us take control of the rudder or the main sheet, but I've always enjoyed working the jib sheet and being out on the water. I am a carpenter by trade, but know that a the one of few arts of carpentery are practiced in wooden boatbuilding, custom, restoration and repairs. I come with really nice recommendations. Always eager to work and learn. And very eager to begin a career in wooden boat building. Even if you only have an idea of where to look I would greatly appreciate any input. Willing to relocate. Feel free to contact me via e-mail. I believe there is access to my e-mail address via my profile, thank you!!!

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Are you looking for a job building wooden hulls or doing the internal joinery work? I have a friend that is looking to hire experienced woodworkers to do yacht finishing (cabinatry, inlays, floors, ect) but don't know anyone off hand that is in the wooden yacht building business.

3. meepslala

meepslala New Member

thanks stumble

Yeah, I'm mainly looking for a job working on wooden hulled boats. Though I will keep it in mind, as a chance to work on boats in general is a good thing right now. I'm gonna stick this out a bit longer first and see what happens. Thank you though!

4. Gypsie

Gypsie Randall Future by Design

Hey Stumble,
    Like to know who it is who wants experienced woodworkers to yacht finishing etc

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Head over to Trinity Yachts http://www.trinityyachts.com/. If you look at their employment section they normally have a few specialty trades listed, but I was talking to the owner last weekend and he said they are still pretty much looking for any skilled trade.

I don't know what their current requirements are, but I do know that they always are looking for highly skilled people. Further they are often willing to take on partly skilled people as apprentices and pay some or all of the cost of training or licensing depending on the particular trade.

Note that I have no financial connection to Trinity, but I do like to help out local business when I can, and the ship building industry here in New Orleans is still desperate for quality workers despite the economic downturn.