Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Employment and Education > Services & Employment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 09-22-2007, 09:20 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 2
Diseño de iates en Barcelona

Hola,

Soy ingeniero naval de 28 años y por motivos personales me trasladaré a Barcelona en Enero de 2008.
Estoy buscando empleo en empresas de diseño de iates. Tengo experiencia en los cálculos de hidrodinámica y aerodinámica de iates por lo que busco un puesto de trabajo que me permita desarrollar proyectos semejantes y participar de la parte creativa que eso conyeva. Les anexo mi Currículo a continuación.

Saludos,

Joao Bettencourt

-----------------------------

Hi,

I am a 28 year old naval architect and I'll be moving to Barcelona next January. I'm looking for a job in yacht design offices. I have experience in hydro and aerodynamic calculations for yachts and I'm searching for a position in which I can work in that area, but also to be part of the whole creative process.

My CV is shown below.

Best Regards

Joao Bettencourt

----------------------------- Curriculum Vitae

CONTACTS

Postal Adress: Rua Antonio Pedro de Carvalho nr. 17 3 E
1885-005 Moscavide
Portugal

Telephone: (351) 219 436 224
Mobile: (351) 914 835 332

E-mail: joaohbettencourt@gmail.com or joao.paulo.bettencourt@gmail.com

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

April 2007 – Present

Consultant Naval Architect at QTEL – Qualidade Total e Logística

Activities

• Conduction of shipyard technological surveys for the project “A Survey of Technologies in the Portuguese Shipyards”, sponsored by the Portuguese Maritime Industries Association and the Portuguese Ministry of Economy

Jan 2004 – Present

Research Assistant at INSTITUTO SUPERIOR TECNICO – Unit of Marine Technology and Engineering

Activities:

• Design of wind tunnel force measurement balance with strain gages
• Development of an experimental program in a wind tunnel to study ship and sail aerodynamics
• Modelling and calculation of hydrodynamic flows around keels and bulbs using Computational Fluid Dynamics software CFX
• Development of a Velocity Prediction Program in Matlab for prediction of sailing yachts speed and heading

November 2005 – January 2006

Visiting Researcher at Laboratory of Mechanics of Turbulence – Department of Mechanical Engineering of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

Activities

• Wind tunnel tests with measurements of boundary layer profiles by hot wire anemometry

June 2001 – December 2003

Undergraduate Research Assistant at INSTITUTO SUPERIOR TECNICO – Unit of Marine Technology and Engineering

Activities:

• Development of software in FORTRAN to calculate forces in yacht’s sails and airfoil sections of keels

Publications

Bettencourt, J. H., Fonseca, N. e Guedes Soares, C., “A Program for the Prediction of Sailing Yacht Performance”, Actas das 9ªs Jornadas Tecnicas de Engenharia Naval, 25 – 26 Novembro 2004, Lisboa, pp 545-564

Bettencourt, J. H., Fonseca, N. e Guedes Soares, C., “A Procedure for the Hydrodynamic Optimization of Yachts Keels”, Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Yacht Design MDY’04, 25 – 26 Março 2004, Madrid

ACADEMICS

2006 Post Graduate Diploma in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
Instituto Superior Tecnico (final score 15 points out of 20)

Main Subjects (Course Assignment):

• Advanced Ship Dynamics (Calculation of hull pressures with strip theory)
• Marine Structural Design (FE analysis of hot spot stresses & calculation of ultimate bending moments on box girders)
• Modelling of Marine Environment (Prediction of sea state off the Portuguese coast in Viana do Castelo using SWAN software)

2003 5 year degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
Instituto Superior Tecnico (final score 14 points out of 20)

Main Subjects:

• Ship Design
• Resistance and Propulsion
• Structural Design
• Ship Dynamics
• Ship Stability

EXTRA CURRICULAR TRAINING

39th WEGEMT Summer School “Optimistic – Optimization in Marine Design”
May 2003, Technical University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany

QTEL – Quality Auditing Short Course
April 2003, Edificio Portugalia, Lisbon, Portugal

37th WEGEMT Summer School “Advanced Shipbuilding and Shipping – Competitive Ship Production”
November 2002, Polytechnic University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain

PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS

Graduate Member of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects nr. 00247659

LANGUAGES

Portuguese: Native
English: Fluent (Oral and Written)
Spanish: Basic (Oral and Written)
French: Basic Understanding

COMPUTER SKILLS

Office Applications
Programming in FORTRAN and Matlab
CFX (Computational Fluid Dynamics)