Composite Yards Thailand

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by Composite Ben, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Composite Ben

Composite Ben Junior Member

Hello all,

Does anyone know of composite boat builders in Thailand as I would like to work there. Yards that build with glass, carbon, pre-preg, infusion etc. Any help will be great.

Many thanks,

Ben

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I will send you a private message. Let me know how it works out for you as I will be relocating there as well.

3. Andy Pitt

Andy Pitt Junior Member

If you send me a mail to Boatman@ksc.th.com I can give you all the information you need on Thai yacht building and Thai yards. I have 20 years experience building yachts and managing yacht projects there. Rgds Andy Pitt. www.andypittprojectmanager.com

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You will need a work permit. Working without as many are tempted to do will result in your arrest, and It is a serious offence.

Many agents offer to assist in getting one but it still remains difficult.

5. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

Since we're talking thailand here....

Can anyone recommend some Thai yards that would be suitable to build a 50+' aluminium sailing cat. We'll also be looking for an independant project manager.

6. Boatbuilder BC

Boatbuilder BC Junior Member

Composite Marine International. They are partners with cobra international the windsurf and surf board company and Green Marine from the UK. They are the only decent boat building company around. They produce carbon racing yatchs, open 40's and lots of pre preg components.They are BOI registered and have no problem getting work permits.
    I have seen alot of "boat building" companies in Thailand and there are very few you would want to work or that can pay anywhere near a western wage.
    info@composite-marine.com

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

There are boat yards here that can do that stuff. I advise you to come here and have a look, there are flights between Chonburi area and Phuket which will be the main areas.

Working here on the shop floor is not a good idea . Apart from the wages being crap (although the cost of living is very cheap) it wont work. You will not be able to speak Thia or mingle with the thais. You would be the only round eye for a start. Food , the heat , toilets,,---sorry.

8. Boatbuilder BC

Boatbuilder BC Junior Member

Ben i would advise you do some research before coming for a look. As i said Composite Marine International are the only yard i know that are equipped to do high end (decent) stuff, i.e large ovens, cnc machines, cleannrooms,autoclaves and climate controlled areas for doing large VE and epoxy infused projects as well as pre preg. As you know its hot there and for high end boats you need a high end facility. Maybe Frosty has the names of more companies but i've been in Thailand a while myself and i haven't seen them. If you pop over for a look you will find mainly low end polyester work.

9. Alik

Alik Senior Member

From our experience, most of foreign employees stay in Thai boatbuilding company less than one year unless they are shareholders. Most of them will run away in first 1-2 months, or will travel form company to company on ‘probation’ basis. In these short term cases, getting work permits is an issue and any probation work looks illegal.

Also, most of builders here are on budget range and once they employ a foreigner they would require all-round skills as equipment/system installation, furnishing, purchase, management skills, etc. They need more than just experience with composites. There is plenty of Thai laminators and foremen capable to do fiberglass work in low-end production.

10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

50 Alum Cat in Thailand

Is your design quite a bit different than the 50-52 footer being built there already? Those fellows have quite a backgrd with biulding of alum in Thailand

I'd be interested in what you might be working on as I have a couple of gentlemen interested in a 50-55 foot sailing design...likely in Thailand...perhaps a private message

11. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

No need to go private,

The boat is very preliminary at this stage (just discussions at this stage no drawings). The client is looking for a very seaworthy long distance cruiser. The boat will be "long" for its amount of internal space, keeping weight out of the ends. I've emailed a few companies in Thailand and I'm yet to get a reply.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why do you want to build in Thialand? there are language problems ,quality control, taxes etc.

Your in the best place now. You need to get on a plane and check it out yourself, hotels are cheap.

13. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

Why Thailand?

I've built my company around the premise of listening to my clients and providing what they want. This particular client has expressed a desire to have his boat built in Thailand and has asked if I know or could recommend any yards that he could visit as he will be passing that way soon. Short of jumping on a plane after the first phone call, without any knowledge of the Thai industry I've ended up on the net doing research. Rest assured that I'll be visiting yards before me make any commitments.

14. Hostins

Hostins Junior Member

im not sure, discard this if im wrong, but, isnt cheaper there? workers and all the stuff?

15. Composite Ben

Composite Ben Junior Member

Thank you to all the positive imput from various people. I will get back to you in turn.

ไม่พบคำ คุณ

Ben