Business Opportunity

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by genuinemarine, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Hi, DC,

The following is an article written by an American who has been importing Chinese boats for years.

You can have more information about what they are doing at: www.oviattmarine.com

"Building Yachts in the Orient"

http://www.justyachts.com/omi_www/omi_sections/omi_oc/OC98_PDF/OC9802.pdf

Gary Oviatt, Editor/Publisher

Building Yachts in The Orient...

A NEW DEDICATION TO QUALITY

The quality of yachts built in the Orient has improved dramatically in recent years. Have you looked at a Fleming, lately... or an Offshore, Ocean Alexander, Nordhavn, or a Grand Banks? The high quality is unmistakable. These brands are no longer "nearly as good as" - they are now the quality leaders in the industry. The days of pretty good boats at cheap prices is a memory. The new game in oriental yacht construction is to build higher quality than anyone else. The objective, of course, is to get those high prices as well. Some oriental manufacturers prices haven't caught up with the quality change...yet. Such as DeFever designs, but their prices will, and that is where you, the buyer, can benefit. As certain as the rain will fall, prices of labor intensive products like yachts will rise as the cost of labor increases. The cost of oriental labor is still relatively cheap, but growing at a much faster rate than the rest of the world.

Now is the time to take advantage of this 'change by purchasing yachts at prices that are almost certain to increase substantially within a few years. I believe that as the public awareness of the superiority of today's oriental craftsmanship increases, that boats built in Taiwan, Hong Kong and China (yes, mainland China) will be sought after in future years because of their labor intensive interior workmanship and high-tech construction. In the past year, l have made several trips to the Far East for the purpose of building new DeFever designs and reviving and modifying old ones. On every trip, I am amazed at the changes that have occurred since my previous visit. We read daily of the growing industrial strength of Pacific rim countries such as Taiwan and China, but unless you have seen il happening, it is hard to believe..
    Skyscrapers sprouting like weeds, wharfs jammed with containers, trucks, cars, motorcycles... people everywhere... new businesses, fast food restaurants, new wealth everywhere... and quality. Amidst the chaotic explosion of industrial output and high-volume production, is their real measure of success: Dedication to Quality.

How does this Dedication to Quality benefit us? Better yachts and lower prices, of course. The quality is higher because the importers are demanding higher quality. High quality standards are essential to survive in today's yacht market and both the importers and the yard managers are insisting upon it. Therefore, high quality has become a reality.

Higher quality is a trend that almost all surviving oriental yacht manufacturers have in common. Pricing is where the difference lies. Take a look at the numbers. A new 49 DeFever Pilothouse cost about $350.000 in 1989 and sells for about that today. Using an annual price increase of 5% since 1989, that 49 DeFever Pilothouse should cost about $600,000 for a 1998 model. However, you can order a fully- equipped 1998 model, today, for under $500,000. Now compare that number to the cost of a 49 Grand Banks, 48 Offshore... or any other manufacturer's comparative model. If the final number you arrive at is over $700,000 don't be surprised. Enough said.

Take advantage of this change to higher quality before the prices catch up. Consider buying a new DeFever, if your budget allows. It might be one of the shrewdest moves that you will ever make.

2. Scott STarr

Scott STarr Guest

I am interested in Importing my own brand of Yachts from China

I am very interested in importing yachts from taiwan and China mainland.

Please contact me at scott@starrImporting.com

or by phone at 954-464-1075

Thank you

3. Scott Starr

Scott Starr Guest

President of Starr Importing

I want to contact with your factory I am interested in building yachts in Taiwan and Mainland China right away.

scott@starrImporting.com

954-464-1075 Phone
    954-757-3816 Fax

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Just do it

Do some market research, develop a build policy, find a market niche that fits the build policy, design a boat that fits the niche, build it, show up at a boat show with it, take orders.

There must be a hundred designers who will be able to help you with all of this.

What is the problem?

5. Hi, Guest.

Take it easy! I do not have any problem with anybody here and we are just exchanging our mutual ideas.That is what the website for.

I have already been involved myself in the yacht industry for years and am now learning marketing (That is basically what you are talking about here) and doing all the things you mentioned above.

Yes you are right I have already been approached by some designers via this chatroom.

Thanks a lot for your suggetion.

6. To all who have read this talk:

I started this talk for a very simple reason: To know and communicate with the professional friends( More than just business partners) in the boat industry.

I love the boat,the life style behind it and the challenge we have to conquer.

Nowadays We've already had so many problems going around among the peoples, races, nations in this world and it is really not wise to initiate another unnecessary debate. I believe all kinds of misunderstandings could be solved by honest communication and the willingness to respect the differencies and each other.

I have already made up my mind to choose boating as my life career and am targeting to be the pioneer in the yacht industry of China.Thanks all those who have commented here and your comments really help me a lot in accompalishing my above ambition.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think that concerns over political stability are valid. A yacht is a large investment. There are other concerns too. For example, Chinese supplies don't specify origin like we are accustomed to. There are no brand names, so there is no assurance as to the quality of a product. Also, the legal recourses in case of disagreements seem very limited from a westerner's poiny of view. The problems in doing business with China seem to be political and not so much about the availability ob skilled or cheap labor. Mercedes Benz has more clout, and therefore bargaining power, than an individual building a yacht ever would. They are not comparable situations. The cultural differences also present some obstacles. We may unknowingly insult each other at times.

8. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Guest

Rob99

Hi George,

I have an interest in China's emerging yacht industry.
    Is there a "Boating Industry Association" or similiar in China?
    Where would I find industry information ie- numbers of boats built/sold, import/exports, new marina's (operating or proposed), dollar value of the industries, yacht club memberships, etc?

Regards,
    Rob Thompson

9. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

I would not be interested on pure principal

Just my 2 cents here guy's
    If I were in the market to buy or have a custom yacht built I would never even consider a china boat on pure principal. Never would I spend one red cent (pun intended) supporting a communist country. I will say I like Nordhavn boats alot The Selene's a little too but I'll never own one. sending 800K to a country who has a navy and airforce and the largest army in the world who hate everything about us except the american dollar will never happen. My family and I go to great lengths (and expense) to not buy chinese products. Quality or how nice the facility is not a factor in my decisions just where the money is going! "To develop technology to potentially kill my children in an unseen future war?????"
    Reading this I'm sure I will be on the "Idaho crackpot" list but dont take it that way! Just a different side to the conversation above :p
    have a good one lads! Will (8-knots)

10. Hi, 8knots:

Thanks a lot for your straight point and please keep in mind that no matter in the end whether we could agree with each other or not I would like to be your friend.

I really would prefer to discuss with friends here about building the boats instead of political issues but as you have initiated another topic which I do not agree I would like to correct a little bit.

Honestly both your designs of boats and idea of China suprised me a lot. I recommend your taking back the 2 cents and using them to get your knowledge of the current world brushed up. Yes you are right, I as a 100% Chinese, build boats for the money but more importantly I like the challenge and desire to prove we, teamed with international experts, can build the best boat in the world.

However before I present more of my ideas you are kindly requested to clarify the following points:

1. Have you ever been in China?

2. Where do you get those information about China?

3. Where are those boat builders of Nordhavn and Selene? Who are the distributors, designers, retailers of these two lines?

4. Did you check the specifications of these above two lines and where are the majority of the equipmetns from?

5. During the past few centuries, Has China invaded any country?

Please go through the above questions and let us know your comments.

11. jusembo

jusembo Junior Member

Hello Rob

I'm also looking for such informations as i want to start sailboat building in China.

Unfortunately, even i'm based in China my self, it's very difficult to get any informations.

You should, maybe, find something by visiting boat exhibitions.There is few of them
    Try this link: http://www.boat-asia.com/exhibitorlist.asp

There is also a new magasine http://www.asia-pacificboating.com
    For more information please contact me on my email

david@morosof.com

12. Dear David and Rob,

Tho only reason that I leave this message to you guys is to prove that it is not as difficult as you might think to find the information you need in China and lots of Chinese friends are happy to help you.

David, I will phone you again tomorrow night so that I could see how we could work together.

Rob, drop me an email and I will put together something for you.

13. jusembo

jusembo Junior Member

Yes George but also no.
    That's all China in two word.

It's easy and it's dificult in same time.
    Easy for you but so difficult for me.
    You find in China the best craftsmans in the world, yes the best, and i'm ready to argue this with anybody, but you will also find the Darkness of the mind, deeper than in any other country.
    Every day i meet peoples who have less mental faculty that...
    This country is hell and paradise.
    So, i think you loose time and energy by trying to summarize this country in few lines.
    Especialy in a chat between Chinees and foreigners, most of them will just talking and will never do anything beyond their frontier.
    You can't convince all the worl to come to China and if you do that it will not be China anymore it wil be something like...Hong Kong ;-)

Sorry for this intrusion. David@morosof.com

14. Sam Bongo

Sam Bongo Guest

Urgent!

Dearest,

It is my pleasure to contact you for a business venture which I and my junior sister (Nadia) intend to establish in your country. Though I have not met with you before but I believe, one has to risk confiding in succeed sometimes in life. There is this huge amount of eight million U.S dollars($8,000,000.00) which my late Father kept for us with a Fiduciary Fund Holder in Abidjan before he was assasinated by unknown persons during this war in Cote d'ivoire.

Now I and my sister have decided to invest these money in your country or anywhere safe enough outside Africa for security and political reasons.We want you to help us claim and retrieve these fund from the Fiduciary Fund Holders and transfer it into your personal account in your country for investment purposes on these areas:
    1). Telecommunication
    The Transport Industry Five Star Hotel If you can be of an assistance to us we will be pleased to offer to you 10% Of the total fund.

I await your soonest response.

Respectfully yours.

Mr,Sam Bongo.
    sam1_bongo@yahoo.com