Yuloh and Sculling Oar auxiliary power for sailboats

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Angélique, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

< New thread split from http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/clean-auxiliary-power-charging-whilst-sailing-47237.html >

If want to go emission free, see the 40' (12.2m) Cornish Lugger Guide Me.
    Judy and Jonno use for port manouvres etc. a single very long sweep oar on one side, saw that about 8 years ago on the Helford in Cornwall while Jonno was sweeping and Judy was at the helm. But I think they use it as a single stern mounted sculling oar as well as it is stored that way in the last picture.

An other option is a single stern mounted Yuloh like used to propel Sampans and as auxiliary for port manouvres etc. on large Chinese Junks in which 30 tons and more is no exception.

[​IMG]
    Click pic for source and Yuloh info.

I would suggest to keep the diesel engine for emergencies :idea:

Good Luck !
    Angel

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
  2. Angélique

For info, Tom Colvin sailed his own Gazelle for many years and with great pleasure without an engine.

She got her first engine only when he sold her to enhance saleability and to prevent accidents in less capable hands.

See: Tom Colvin --> Gazelle, a 42’ ocean cruising schooner.

Quote is from: Wavetrain --> Colvin Gazelle
    Cheers,
    Angel

3. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

I'm familiar with the original Gazelle. I was aboard her first at the Colvin yard where I spent a couple days discussing designs that might suit me with Mr. Colvin.

Later I travelled in company with Gazelle after she had been sold to the Burch family. Lovely boat, nicely appointed and comfortable below.

I lived aboard a Swedish Vega 27 for 11 years. After I had owned her for 2 years I decided I had used the engine so seldom that it wasn't worth maintaing it. I sold the engine and feathering prop and used that space to store tools and stores. Relieved of the weight aft the transom was then just clear of the water in light air. That and the elimination of prop drag made a noticeable improvement in light air performance.

Eventually I built a long sculling oar. Not really a yulloh, but used in much the same way. In that configuration I sailed her something like 20,000 miles or so, including one very leisurely trip down the Inter-coastal Waterway through 100+ bridges.

The only times I wished I had an engine was while in the Fl Keys and I wanted to go diving on an absolutely windless day. Perfect diving conditions and too far to scull.

BTW I believe the boat in the background is also a Colvin design .. a beautiful Pinky Schooner. He had a design for a 31' version that I almost chose to build. Instead I bought the Vega and went sailing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. Angélique

The Albin Vega 27 is a fantastic sailboat, but the prop is on the wrong side of the rudder which makes it very awkward to maneuver on the engine in narrow spaces.

I'll guess the sculling oar was an improvement in regard of her ability to maneuver on the ‘‘aux’’ as well ?

Cheers,
    Angel

5. bartnordwest

bartnordwest Junior Member

i like sculling my dinghy but towing the ship ,i went dangerously slow,now i tie my ropes together to connect with buoy or quay, and pull ,safer
    love the oar on the foto

6. Angélique

7. Angélique

See the picture of the model on page 4, you can use multiple Yuloh's if you have a crew on board.

Good Luck !
    Angel

8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Ok gentlemen, those are nice classic wooden sailboats.

But what does your discussion have to do with power charging whilst sailing and with this thread?

9. Angélique

Quite Right Daiquiri,

The Yuloh and Sculling Oar sugestions are an aside and are just about the Clean Auxiliary part of the thread.

I hope an aside that covers only a part of the question, with a sugestion about a different way, is allowed.

Cheers,
    Angel

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Pardon me if I appear to be a smart *** here, but - following the same logic one could start a side-drift about swimming in the thread dedicated to rowing boats, or a discussion about hovercrafts in the thread about foiling sailboats. ;)

But don't you think it would be more logical to start a new thread about cruising with no engines, rather than taking away a whole first page of a thread which was supposed to be about a completely different topic?

Cheers

11. Angélique

OK, back to the entire original topic than.

Cheers,
    Angel

12. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Angelique,

Thanks for the info on Yulohs. I have always had a passing interest and your links have proved insightful. I'm thinking of experimenting with it on my boat.

13. Angélique

Thanks LP,

However I think Daiquiri made a good point here, the forum functions best when threads stay on topic, this is also more respectful to the thread opener.

So I'll ask the moderator for a split off thread so both topics can elaborate on their own merits.
    -------------------------------------------------------​
    Note to Moderator,

I've side drifted a bit to much here.

Please make a split off thread on the Sailboats forum containing the posts: 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

So from post #6 till now, minus post #7, plus possibly next responses on this side drift.

Name of the new thread: Yuloh and Sculling Oar auxiliary power for sailboats.

Please put a note + link on top of the new post#1 that the new thread is a split off from this one. Also please leave a note + link here to the new split off thread.

Sorry for the trouble, thanks in advance [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Angel

14. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

1 person likes this.

15. Angélique

Thanks Moderator for sorting it out and the split off thread [​IMG]
    Here's a thread about the efficiency of oars: What is the propulsive efficiency of oars?
    Cheers,
    Angel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.