Yngling Modifications for Coastal Cruising

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Jamie Kennedy, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

What I have in mind is to remove the floorboards and retrofit a Raised Floor Watertight Double Bottom, as the class rules now permit, not that it matters. It will be 1/2" exterior grade plywood with epoxy glass on either side, with extra attention on end grains. It will be easy to install in the cockpit from side tank to side tank where the seats are now, but only up to the forward bulkhead. This makes it a simple rectangle, (and as we all know in the real world rectangles are ALWAYS square and parallel ;-) )

I will make the bulkhead forward by the mast support complete side to side and add a hatch cover. So this will end up dividing the boat into the 4 existing watertight compartments plus two more, maybe three. I will add some strong inspection ports to permit access and storage. Not sure yet whether to connect some or all to the bilge with hoses for a central bilge pump. I think not.

Here are some before and after pictures based on a similar boat to mine before and a modern boat after...

before...
    [​IMG]

after...
    [​IMG]

Two Anderson automatic bailers will be fitted on the sides right above the saddle tanks.

2. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I have to think that you'd want smaller sails. The racing sails are just to powerful to be safe and practical.

3. Jamie Kennedy

I hear you. I haven't had it out in 25 knots yet but I do understand what you mean... It is a great boat to race in 25-35 knots with 500-600 pounds on the rail, over the rail, but what about when sailing upwind for 6 hours with just me in the boat at 230 pounds or so? Well is does sail well under just the jib in such conditions, but it would be nice if there was a little in between. What I have in mind is not to put reef points in the mainsail, but to have one of my older mainsails cut down and a new foot boltrope put in such that the head of the mainsail is now at the hounds, the head of the jib. It is a small enough boat to change sails rather than reef. I will need to see what the shape is like after that but I think I could still bend the mast with the boomvang and backstay and from the spreader rake to get the job done. For reaching same thing, when it is too windy for the spinnaker and I don't want to round up too much with the full mainsail. A flat assymetrical cruising spinnaker would be nice for reaching in light and medium, as the symmetrical spinnaker cut pretty full for downwind work. I do intend to sail it hard, but also long distances and shorthanded. I think this will work. Also two jibs and no main for downwind in heavy air. They are hanked on so that should work just fine, and I would plan on bring a spare anyway. Of course this is all just theory until I put it to practice, but I do like the fact that it is a racing boat. I do intend to sail it hard, and I like how it responds in light and medium air.

I am not sure how much abuse the mast and rigging can take. It is a quality spar built for racing hard, but it may be as old as the boat now. Also, flailing around at sea shorthanded and reefed can be harder on the mast and rigging than sailing with full sail and full crew. It is deck stepped, so the recourse if I do lose the mast is to jury rig what I can or head for port with just oars and anchors. Then maybe build a smaller rig, but maybe not. ;-)

Yngling in 40 knots (probably more like 35) but with 600 pounds on the rail, not just little old me. ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn9FAc6XRAo

Me and my 26 year old Laser last summer, final tack for the windward mark with some ground to make up...
    [​IMG]

4. Jamie Kennedy

For the removeable watertight raised floorboard double bottom...
    If I try out plane lumber I will use it bare to test it out and the start fresh with new lumber if I decide to go with it and seal and reinforce with epoxy glass or substitute. Another option I just thought of is tongue and groove exterior grade plywood in 3/4" as from one sheet I can get two 4 foot pieces with a tongue/groove on both ends, and then two short pieces for the ends with a tongue/groove on just one end. I measured and I need a 37" width, so from a 4x8 I can get a 10" piece or two pieces that add up to 10", and I can have a semi-watertight removeable raised floor double bottom that is 37" wide by 106" long. I think if I go with 3/4" I can just urethane it, several coats, with extra attention to the T&G.

Question on this subject. What is the best choice for the tongue and groove joints of exterior grade plywood, such that you can seal the end grains and laminate from water and also get a pretty good watertight joint there with just a little compression? Also, best way to seal the groove without making it so the tongue no longer fits? I am thinking to let it dry groove down but at an angle. Also thinking to use a spar varnish urethane as it is supposed to have more give, so might make a good compression fit. The sides that run along the side tanks that are not tongue and groove will have a gasket. I am not sure yet what to use to keep them in place and apply the vertical pressure. They might be tied down to the bottom of the boat along the centre, where the will be hiking strap and mainsheet block attachments on the upper side to match what was on the existing floorboard below.

5. Jamie Kennedy

Some photos from yesterdays sail. That is my wife in the comfy chair, and my sub-120 5'2" daughter training in her Laser Radial. She just aged out of Optimist this year. The Yngling is a great boat to watch her from...

Note the jib sheet tied to my ankle. Not that I don't trust my wife, but I am not sure of her man overboard skills. ;-)
    [​IMG]

Jane in comfy chair...
    [​IMG]

Margaret blasting through to leeward...
    [​IMG]

Getting a lot of ideas and inspiration from all the custom home builders of John Welsford's Scamp.
    [​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.