WildCherry's newest project. pics to follow

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by WildCherry, Jul 19, 2006.

1. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

So I got an old beat up j 24 after hurricane Katrina. Some core damage to the forward bow. some deck repairs from stanchions, other thaen that its not a bad boat. The biggest problem im faceing is the bottom. 20 years of the worlds worst boat yards bottom jobs are on her. I used a paint stripper to remove the top 5-10 layers. now Im at what appears to be an epoxy barrier coat. There are a zillion blisters on the bottom. Debateing a peel job. but tempted to sand some and see what I can grind off of it first.

Attached Files:

2. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

Not a bad boat?

Just goes to show varying levels of interpreting reality....

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Oh, wateraddict, it's nothing a few thousand bucks and a few thousand hours can't fix :D

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

time and money. Aint that what makes a boat good? haha.

Well as you can see the bottom is the hardest part. I started sanding the paint some jusdt to see what was there. The gelcoat blisters sanded out. well most of them. So I dont think its completly waterlogged. There are a few bad spots where a tree or something underneath, poked some holes into the bottom. All and all it wont be to bad. Other than the bottom.

The biggest problem is its 100 freakin degrees here and it hurts to work to hard.

5. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

Oh and remember Im the one that brought you Wild Cherry the sunken sov 30 that needed everything.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.