Whiting 40

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Patzi, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Patzi

Patzi New Member

Hi, we are looking at a Whiting 40 sloop to do some offshore sailing - but not finding much info about the model. The boat was designed by NZ's Paul Whiting and hull built in triple diagonal kauri by NZ's AK Porter Marine seems very strong. Wondering if anyone has any info/experience with this design, how it performs in heavy weather, etc. Any info at all would be really appreciated....

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Not familiar with the boat but 25 or 30 years ago I ran into the whiting family when they were doing a circumnavigation. Believe the old mans name was Darcy and his daughters name Penny ? This was around the time that Paul was lost at sea. Their boat was a fourty something wood skin. Very Nice boat...Perhaps the name was Tequila.

3. Patzi

Patzi New Member

Yes, I've heard about a 47 footer that Paul Whiting designed for his father (called Tequila I think). He seems to have been highly respected as a talented designer who was sadly lost at sea, but his designs live on. Penny Whiting is still prominent through her Auckland sailing school. The boat we are looking at is more of a cruising style that was built in 1985.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.